Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the responses regarding how loud a typical turbo kit is- here's my next dumb question: I've seen a lot of posts where skilled and experienced people have installed turbos on their zx10rs, people who obviously know if ins and outs of tuning and maybe turbos in general, or were well on their way to learning.

My question is, can a somewhat experienced garage mechanic bolt on a turbo and get it to work, maybe in a mild state of tune (like just to get another 30-50 HP, 3-5 pounds of boost)? If I did it, it would just to be a few month's project to get a hopped up bike, and not a drag/competition machine with new pistons, crank, valves etc. etc.

I could find a shop with a dyno to do some fine-turning, but I'm picturing ordering a complete kit from somewhere and spending nights and weekends just throwing it on and tinkering with it until it ran.

I'm no master bike mech, but I can strip bolts adjusting the valves in my Ducati, rejet carbs, clean the soot off the plugs 'cause it's running too rich, etc, so I have plenty of experience taking a perfectly good bike and turning it into a nightmare- is a turbo kit for me? Thanks for any thoughts.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
your safest bet is to drop $4000 on a velocity kit and get er tuned by a pro. From all my money, two motors and two kits later that's the best advice I could give you. Follow my turbo journal and turbo-10 threads for more advice but trust me on this one. With an intermediate velocity kit you can safely run 6psi at 200+hp on 93 pump gas. It's just unfortunate that there's no room under the 10r's hood for an intercooler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks-

but could I just bolt it on in my garage, get it running, and ride it to the shop where the pro could tune it to get working right? What I mean is, if I'm shooting for a mild, conservative tune using pump gas and not doing any internal engine mods, could I get it working with my Craftsman tools that has two 13mms and no 12mm?

I can fab small parts out of alum. and steel and stuff, but does the Velocity kit pretty much bolt on? I don't mind doing some drilling and tapping but major engine work is beyond my abiltiy right now and my wife would complain about the marks in the dining room table. Also I don't want to melt any pistons or spin any bearings.

Chris

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
the velocity kit plugs right in. throw in the map they provide you and ride it to the tuner. it sounds you should have about all you need to accomplish the job so dont sweat it. :thumbsup:

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
Doesn't muzzy make one too? Never really considered a turbo so I'm not sure what is really out there.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
muzzy is complete shit. its turbonetic turbo leaks and their customer support sucks. besides, they dont offer a fuel system like velocity does.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Buy the velocity kit and make sure you have the 12mm socket you will need it. also make sure it has fuel in it when you take it to the dyno(definetly get it tuned if your spending 4000 for a kit another 200 wont kill you) or it will melt, I have a motor here with 4 miles on it that melted a piston on the guys bike I got the motor from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mean the bike ran out of fuel on the dyno and that made the piston melt without the cooling spray of gas?

·
Registered
195 Posts
muzzy sucks ass dont get no freakn muzzy they are garbage but if you neeed a map ive got a good one i usually sell for a couple dollars i ran it on my bike for 1yr with no issues on 93 and i run my bike hard all the way to readline many occassions.

stay tuned next month or so i should have a new kit super inexpensive and easy to install.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Inexpensive kit!?:heyyou: Damn you turboten, where were you a year ago! ::wink:

·
Registered
31 Posts
muzzy customer service is crap!!!...dosent matter tho cause products r shit 2 !!lol
velocity gives u a ok turbo kit....but DO NOT LISTEN 2 VELOCITY SUPPORT!! or u will blow engine!..the "dream" bike is only sold 2 turbo distributers in fantasy land !! lol...they get the only 10's that make250rwhp on 8lbs. boost on 93 octane with stock pistons & r bulletproof& he swears by it!!...lmao u could grab a velocity kit .but invest in pistons & xternal wastegate & clutch springs..& stay with 6lbs of boost &u will b fine...

·
Registered
195 Posts
u can make 220 or so on stock bottom end with super tight race tuning. u might be able to push 250 with 8lbs but again race tune not the best for the street everyone always posts the high numbers on the dyno running it right to the edge to sell product but real world is right around 200-210 with safe tune. My bike is pushing just over 200 with the 240 kit and extended bikes loose a little power on the dyno. average is about 200-210 normal tune. on a nice cold day im sure im making another 5-10 horse. Pistons are the least of the worries on the 10 more issues is the valves and valve train. We will see im gonna through water injection and run 8lbs on my modified muzzy kit looking for another 30horse but not sure if ill get it we will see.

again muzzy is crap i had to change some parts and have turbo rebuilt after owning the kit only 3 months everyone i know that has one is a leaky SOB . Velocity has a good kit hands down a good kit just a little pricey. Im hoping to have something around half the price. We are here to change the industry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies- what if I want to run 91 octane pump gas and just get another 30-50 HP from my 10? Like, run low boost or something. Can I just bolt on a Velocity kit and ride it to the tuner's without spewing valvetrain components out the pipe? I like the idea of revving it up to above 7K and leaving a black mark on the street in front of my office, but I'm not going to compete in stock drag racing or try to get 300HP.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for all the replies- what if I want to run 91 octane pump gas and just get another 30-50 HP from my 10? Like, run low boost or something. Can I just bolt on a Velocity kit and ride it to the tuner's without spewing valvetrain components out the pipe? I like the idea of revving it up to above 7K and leaving a black mark on the street in front of my office, but I'm not going to compete in stock drag racing or try to get 300HP.[/QU

Dude, I dont know you by any meens, and don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you really don't have any experence with turbo components, maping, or tuning. THIS IS DANGERIOUS STUFF!!!. it's not somthing you play with after droping thousands on a decent bike. Asking can you do install critical parts without a 12mm wrench is kinda weird and I hope you were joking about that. To answer your question, YES you probably could get you bike to start if you installed everything correctly. No it wounldnt make it to a dyno or in front of your office. The fuel map on youe stock ecu would probably produce about 1/3 of the fuel it would need to run not detonate. If your serisouly considering getting a kit like this for you bike make damn sure you know what your getting your self into, and venture to you local sears and pick up a good craftsmen tool set. Your gonna need it, with that i bid you happy trails my friend.

·
Registered
195 Posts
if you have the money turbo is the only way to go fuck going n/a or nitrous you want real horsepower u go turbo unmatched raw horsepower. you can do it and do it safely and run 91/93 pump gas all day i have many drag races on my bike and bike runs like it did the first day.

Like he said you have to know how to bolt on a few components and if you have a good company sell you a kit then youll have most of the componenets preset such as regulator and good fuel map before you get the bike so you have less issues dialing it in when you get to the dyno. Its not hard as everyone thinks there is an order in putting componenets on and you have to stay in that order or you will be doing work 2times around. you can safely do what you want with turbo and have no issues. I wouldnt hesistate to ride my bike to new york or anywhere in the country its that reliable. Tuning is your next concern when getting a turbo bike your drivablity will be the thing you will want to get figured out as most maps are generic and wont always work the best for cruising.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
:iamwithst me on the other hand am more worried about overheating. it runs much hotter now but i need to upgrade my radiator to a second gen radiator. another major concern you wanna look out for is air leaks. after installation pressure check every segment of your system.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts