Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may know, I'm in process of doing a shorty can on the Akra & Yoshi. An other rider advise me to be careful due to the fact that the can will be shorter and with less packing it can make my 05 ZX10R run rich or was it lean?? The change in back pressure on the exhaust will burn out my piston? The back firing is a sign of running too rich. Should I be concern? TRUE OR FALES. I like the shorty look and I took out 80% of the original packing out.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
if folks can run racefits and be ok...you'll be jsut fine! :ayyy:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
:+1: Haven't heard of anyone blowing and engine because of a shorty muffler. On the other hand do not overkill some people have such small mufflers you can hardly call is sho let alone shorty.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
making it shorter wont burn up the valve seals but maybe taking 80% of the packing out will since its a more straight thru design. just a guess..

·
Registered
451 Posts
GHOST RIDER said:
As some may know, I'm in process of doing a shorty can on the Akra & Yoshi. An other rider advise me to be careful due to the fact that the can will be shorter and with less packing it can make my 05 ZX10R run rich or was it lean?? The change in back pressure on the exhaust will burn out my piston? The back firing is a sign of running too rich. Should I be concern? TRUE OR FALES. I like the shorty look and I took out 80% of the original packing out.
That can will give you a little more tourqe if you are tuned for it other wise
it will lean out just a little bit.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
changing pipe (baffle) length changes the effect on the exhuast pulse. Fuel needs are more a function of header design. Just make sure you keep the packing good (as with any baffle regardless of length).

·
Registered
463 Posts
The only time Ive seen or heard any kinda valve or piston problem from exhaust is when you dont run anything at all as in taking the header off and running that way. so that said dont run without the header it will burn a valve.

As far as torque is concerned, the less packing you use, the less back pressure you have causing you to lose torgue but gain hp. And the torque is what you need on the low end to get that bike rolling. Hp is more essential at high speeds. So if you run the shorty can with little or no packing then you will lose torque.

As far as running rich or lean, get a power commander, take it to the dyno shop and they will make you a custom map for your set up that will make the bike run it best.

I hope this helps you in your quest for tha Shorty.....

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas, the power commander is the next stept.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2004 and took all my packing aout of my can and cut it 6 1/2 inches I put it on the dyno and HPs went up I have never had any problems and it sounds and looks great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts