Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
dumbass, why do people feel safe in big vehicles ? good job it was a semi he hit and not a bike.

Know your limits, drive safe.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
He had the choice to drive more carefully though, he was hauling ass in the weather conditions.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FAF said:
He had the choice to drive more carefully though, he was hauling ass in the weather conditions.

True, but once he lost it, all he could do is to wait for the crunching to end.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FAF said:
dumbass, why do people feel safe in big vehicles ? good job it was a semi he hit and not a bike.

Know your limits, drive safe.

Bike should be smart enough to not be in that kind of weather.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
gpz1100 said:
Bike should be smart enough to not be in that kind of weather.
I knew someone was going to say that, just didn't know who it was going to be:badteeth:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
gpz1100 said:
As charged :mrgreen:...but really think FAF is just saying people that ride out of control no matter what conditions could kill a biker that easy. That's why I don't ride in the rain anymore if I can help it, because I can't control my bike like I can in dry normal conditions which isn't a guarantee in optimum conditions to start with as far as staying out of trouble .:badteeth:

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Good thing the transport wasn't going any faster or it would have been SPLAT. :eek:wned:

I dunno about all the gizmos and gadgets that they are putting on modern cars and trucks. The old saying was that 4x4 was a tool to get 100 feet further into trouble. Now people have ABS and stability-program and who knows what else. Old cars scared the crap out of you when it was slippery and that made you go slower, but with the old manual steering you could tell the moment you got on something slippery. Too much power steering assistance nowadays on a lot of vehicles, you can't tell any more when it's like that.

Every time there is a snowstorm, traffic becomes mayhem. Lots of :bump: going on. Some people don't slow down because they seem to think their 4x4 will go through anything. Then they find out that 4x4 does absolutely nothing to make it stop and turn better. I guess that pickup driver found out the hard way. But other people crawl along at 10 or 20 km/h because they're terrified of the slightest bit of wheel slippage. You HAVE to slide around on snow if you want to go or stop. Speaking of which ... I HATE ABS BRAKES. More specifically, I hate the inability to turn ABS off. In loose surfaces like snow, you stop faster by locking everything up. I almost slid through an intersection at 20 km/h a couple days ago because the darn ABS decided that I needed to keep going straight more importantly than I needed to stop. AAAAARRRRRGH. :BangHead:

I use the hand brake on my front-drive car a lot in snow to help get it to turn. The ESP and ABS can't overrule that. I had 22 winters without ABS, ESP, or any of that crap and never had any trouble, 2nd winter with all that stuff. It's OK, but dammit I want the ability to turn all that off, not just the ESP!

Funny thing is that no matter if the ESP is turned on or off, if I muck with the handbrake and get it sliding around beyond what the ESP can deal with, the car beeps at me ...

:redx:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts