Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

triple tree stand help

Gen 3: 2008-10 
5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Fred S 
#1 ·
I haven't been on here much lately, but i need some help. This has probably already been covered, but my search didn't yield what I'm asking.

I bought a front triple tree stand for obvious reasons, but it pushes up on my fairings under my light? It's a venom. I'm 99% sure I'm doing it right because it's pretty stright forward, but idk if it's because i bought a venom one or if I'm a dumbass. Is there a way around this or should i try to return it and go with a different brand?

#3 ·
Yup, mine did the same thing. Not much you can do about it other than removing the front fairing when using it, or try shimming the pin up a bit, or live with it and use it carefully. The front dips down quite a bit on the fairing and you're going to have the problem with pretty much all of the stands.

#4 ·
I've not tried my triple tree stand on my 3rd yet but on my 1st gen it did the same thing but just slightly. still bugged me. So I found a thick locking nut to shim it up and it worked great.

You could try washers and keep stacking until it clears, just make sure you still have a good amount of the pin up in the tree.

#5 ·
Ok I'll try some washers. What size pin does it require? The pins it came with are 15- 18 or something like that and the biggest one 18 is still way to small for the hole (hahaha). I know I can still make one of them work, but just curious.

#10 ·
The one that fits. :badteeth:

:crackup: I don't recall off the top of my head. Didn't the stand come with an assortment of pins? They are usually numbered on them by the diameter of the pin in whole numbers. 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, etc. Find the one that fits the hole properly as the next size one up will be too big.

#15 ·
I found on a random ass website that it may take a 27mm pin and that sounds about right so I went ahead and ordered it. We'll see how that works. I'll let you guys know and thanks for everyones input.

#17 ·
I have Attack triples on my 10R so it's a different pin, sorry I couldn't tell you what size to get.

If 27mm is correct and you were using an 18mm pin then that would be waaaaayy too much slop. I don't remember exactly but on my Gen 1 I used one pin and sanded it down to make it a snug fit then I didn't have any issues with the stand pushing up on the upper anymore.

#16 ·
I can't speak for a Gen. 3 but my Gen. 4 uses a 19mm pin. I bought the cheap Harbor Freight (?) one and took the one pin that was just a bit too large and chucked it up in my drill press and filed it down 'till it fit perfectly. Hillbilly machinist right here! :badteeth:

No touchy, touchy!!

#22 ·
Really old thread, but this was the only thread that showed up when I searched for help.

I have a 2009 ZX10R that I was trying to remove the forks on. I bought a Trackside Triple Tree Stand because I know I've used it before on my 2011 ZX10R and a 2012 ZX6R. Well, fuck me because none of the pins worked on the massive lower triple tree opening. The damn owner's manual calls out for a frame/engine lift, so that is out of the question because I don't want to spend that type of money. I know Trackside doesn't make a #29 pin (it was a number mentioned a few times for the Pitbull stand) and I was thinking of using wood under the damn headers and jackstands under the engine to get the front end off the ground. Not really ideal in my opinion.

I ended up using a #19 pin and a deep well 3/4 socket to get the Trackside TTS to work. It works like a damn champ too. The #19 fits inside the 3/4" socket and the socket has very minimal play when inside the triple tree.

Just throwing this info out there for future internet shade tree mechanics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.