Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on here much lately, but i need some help. This has probably already been covered, but my search didn't yield what I'm asking.

I bought a front triple tree stand for obvious reasons, but it pushes up on my fairings under my light? It's a venom. I'm 99% sure I'm doing it right because it's pretty stright forward, but idk if it's because i bought a venom one or if I'm a dumbass. Is there a way around this or should i try to return it and go with a different brand?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Yup, mine did the same thing. Not much you can do about it other than removing the front fairing when using it, or try shimming the pin up a bit, or live with it and use it carefully. The front dips down quite a bit on the fairing and you're going to have the problem with pretty much all of the stands.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've not tried my triple tree stand on my 3rd yet but on my 1st gen it did the same thing but just slightly. still bugged me. So I found a thick locking nut to shim it up and it worked great.

You could try washers and keep stacking until it clears, just make sure you still have a good amount of the pin up in the tree.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'll try some washers. What size pin does it require? The pins it came with are 15- 18 or something like that and the biggest one 18 is still way to small for the hole (hahaha). I know I can still make one of them work, but just curious.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Ok I'll try some washers. What size pin does it require? The pins it came with are 15- 18 or something like that and the biggest one 18 is still way to small for the hole (hahaha). I know I can still make one of them work, but just curious.
If the pin is too small the arm will angle up towards the front and hit the upper fairing for sure.

The pin should be very close to the inside diameter of the stem, maybe only 1mm smaller.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the pin is too small the arm will angle up towards the front and hit the upper fairing for sure.

The pin should be very close to the inside diameter of the stem, maybe only 1mm smaller.
This is the problem I'm having. I haven't shimmed it yet, but even if i do, it pushes up way to much in the front. I don't see how a little bit bigger pin would make much of a difference because even if the pin is the correct size, the pin will go all the way in the stem and the weight will be either on the end of the arm or on the front of the arm by the fairings.

If I can't get it to work with shims in a few, I'll post a pic to what I'm talking about.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
This is the problem I'm having. I haven't shimmed it yet, but even if i do, it pushes up way to much in the front. I don't see how a little bit bigger pin would make much of a difference because even if the pin is the correct size, the pin will go all the way in the stem and the weight will be either on the end of the arm or on the front of the arm by the fairings.

If I can't get it to work with shims in a few, I'll post a pic to what I'm talking about.
Caboose is right. I assumed you had the correct pin in there. If not, the bike will have to take up the extra slop in the hole before it will support the bike. Since the front sticks out so far away from the triple tree, any small amount of slop in the pin will cause the front to droop a LOT.

The pin should be a very tight slip fit. The pins are sized according to the opening in the bottom of the triple tree and has to be lined up perfectly to go in. You should see the front fairing flex slightly on the stand when correct, but not be supported like that. Get the correct pin!

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
What is the correct pin?
The one that fits. :badteeth:

:crackup: I don't recall off the top of my head. Didn't the stand come with an assortment of pins? They are usually numbered on them by the diameter of the pin in whole numbers. 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, etc. Find the one that fits the hole properly as the next size one up will be too big.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The one that fits. :badteeth:

:crackup: I don't recall off the top of my head. Didn't the stand come with an assortment of pins? They are usually numbered on them by the diameter of the pin in whole numbers. 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, etc. Find the one that fits the hole properly as the next size one up will be too big.
Duh lol the pins it came with are 15-18mm i believe and the 18 is still way to small. I tried looking on their website, but that is about as helpful as a bunch of rocks.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Duh lol the pins it came with are 15-18mm i believe and the 18 is still way to small. I tried looking on their website, but that is about as helpful as a bunch of rocks.
Are your front forks raised at all? If so that can be another issue.

Bloo

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are your front forks raised at all? If so that can be another issue.

Bloo
No they are stock height, a mm or 2 from the top of my top tree.

I tried uploading a pic of the pin vs. pin hole difference, but it didn't work. Anyway it's like trying to fit a hotdog down a hallway. I'll just search the internet for the correct pin. If i can't find it, does anyone want to buy a brand new venom stand?! Lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found on a random ass website that it may take a 27mm pin and that sounds about right so I went ahead and ordered it. We'll see how that works. I'll let you guys know and thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I can't speak for a Gen. 3 but my Gen. 4 uses a 19mm pin. I bought the cheap Harbor Freight (?) one and took the one pin that was just a bit too large and chucked it up in my drill press and filed it down 'till it fit perfectly. Hillbilly machinist right here! :badteeth:

No touchy, touchy!!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I found on a random ass website that it may take a 27mm pin and that sounds about right so I went ahead and ordered it. We'll see how that works. I'll let you guys know and thanks for everyones input.
I have Attack triples on my 10R so it's a different pin, sorry I couldn't tell you what size to get.

If 27mm is correct and you were using an 18mm pin then that would be waaaaayy too much slop. I don't remember exactly but on my Gen 1 I used one pin and sanded it down to make it a snug fit then I didn't have any issues with the stand pushing up on the upper anymore.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have Attack triples on my 10R so it's a different pin, sorry I couldn't tell you what size to get.

If 27mm is correct and you were using an 18mm pin then that would be waaaaayy too much slop. I don't remember exactly but on my Gen 1 I used one pin and sanded it down to make it a snug fit then I didn't have any issues with the stand pushing up on the upper anymore.
Ok i hope that is the same case with my bike. I tried shimming it earlier and I feel like it almost made it worse. I will update you guys when the correct pin comes in. All this trouble so I can just start to figure out what I'm gonna do about my fork seals lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cant remember the brand of my front stand but i went and had a new pin made up with about double the spacing in the middle section. from 30mm up 60mm gap on my 1 gen.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Got the 27mm pin and it works like a charm. Just barely pushes up on the front fairing, but solid so far. Thanks for your help

1 - 20 of 22 Posts