Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody point me in the right direction for removing the triple tree before I tear into it? Do you need an special tool to remove the 2 nuts on the stem? How do you keep the bike up? Any info would mucho appreciated :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Daddy said:
what are you doing that requires its removal?? installing a damper? adjusting the steering head bearings? fork removal?

BD
I think its fugged up and I wanna check it out. It doesnt handle right since my wreck (headshake) and I thot the forks were bent but turns out thats not it so im checkin this out

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
well then get out the ol square socket and get to gettin!:cool: BTW i removed my square muffler bearings today and boy does it sing a tune for daddy. :thumbsup:

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
chickenhead said:
I think its fugged up and I wanna check it out. It doesnt handle right since my wreck (headshake) and I thot the forks were bent but turns out thats not it so im checkin this out
If your just removing the top triple then you'll need a 36mm socket for the large cap nut and socket allens for the fork pinch bolts and once its loose it lifts up and off, however the ignition assem will still be attached.

NOTE: remember to turn the front wheel completely left (as you sit on it) when removing the stem nut.

BD

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big Daddy said:
BTW i removed my square muffler bearings today and boy does it sing a tune for daddy. :thumbsup:

BD
:rolleyes: The greatness of your wisdom is far superior to the knowledge I have achieved thus far. Really is it hard to do?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the note about turning the wheel.I gotta take the whole doohicky off though.Taking the forks off isnt a problem but Im not sure where to go from there

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well, you don't have to. Lots of guys tighten it by feel. But I would get the proper tool. Then again, I'm a torque-wrench-on-everything kind of guy. :badteeth:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:badteeth: I got a PhD in jerry riggin.Can you use a standard socket of correct size?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
A socket won't really work. Might be able to use an adjustable pin wrench like you would use for shock preload. But probably too large a pin. :dontknow: Or the old jerry-rig setup of screwdriver and hammer. :eyecrazy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts