Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i slowed down then pulled in on the brakes nice and tight ready to give it a little slack to keep from rolling and the bike went down as in it compressed the shocks and my front tire locked up?!?!?! is there something wrong with my suspension or do i just need better brakes i have stock calipers on the front and rear

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
u also need to keep a handful of fork seals on hand as this is usually rough on them as you are learning to do them!..LOL>..jk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Body position helps too. Get up high and as far forward as possible.

Also, be smooth smooth smooth! If those forks bottom out, it'll lock every time. Jerking on the brake lever is the easiest way to bottom them. Be smooth on the brakes (steady sqeeze, never a grab or a jerk), and you may need to firm up the front end just a bit (not likely) to keep it from bottoming.

i'm sure there are lots of guys here better than I am (i'm no stunter), but i've done a few stoppies in my day:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
wonder how hard that has to be on the rear end when you slam it back down to the ground??? its got to cause problems at somepoint in time??

·
Registered
26 Posts
I usually stand up a little and as i gently squeeze the brake bend at the knees at the same time and lean forward when you squeeze and bend at the knees, the motion is sort of bringing your knees to your elbows when you squeeze the front brake the back of the bike wants to come up but your weight keeps it down, so when you lean forward squeeze the brake bring up your knees you are letting your weight off the bike and it will come up and then gently let off the brake and it comes back down i am also running stock brakes and pads. hope this helps

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys

i tighten my suspension with the two flathead screws on the top of the triple correct?
is it righty tighty <stiffer> lefty <loosy?
And as far as standing up im more then comfortable standing on the pegs and getting up on the gas tank however doing this while grabbing the brakes id imagine would make me wanna crap my pants lol. I suppose only about a thousand miles riding my 10 is not enough for me to get that ballsy im still afraid to lift the front end with a clutch although i am also having trouble lifting it just powering through first my accel seems a bit delayed but im sure if id man up and full throttle it it would life. I get it to the point of barly touching. Eh thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
641 Posts
i don't recommend you riding without mirrors, but when learning stoppies, it's a good idea. Otherwise, in the unfortunate event that you go over the bars, your legs will possibly get hung up on the mirrors when you try to jump off, causing the bike to come slamming down on you.

You also want to make sure you're on good pavement that is flat/grippy. Yeah, you kind of unweight yourself a bit when grabbing the brakes. I like to click into neutral before doing them. Otherwise you get a big clank when it drops back down. If you want to be easy on the rear for whatever reason, just set it back down before coming to a stop.

I used to be a stoppie guru. These days, I'm just an old man =(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Like i said earlier i ride and 06 with stock brakes and have no problem bring up the ass. its all about technique. the next time you're OFO just stand up lean a little forward nice and easy squeeze the brake and try to lift your feet up. you'll be surprised, I told myself when i bought my bike i would never attempt a stoppie and then one of my ridin buddys was doin it next to me I just had to give it a try, as of yet i have no problem bringin the ass up comin to a stop light but riding a stoppie thats a diff story.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
I got a pretty good DVD showing how to do em, and burnouts, and wheelies. Prolly could find the same thing on youtube.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tend to squeeze the brake gently for a sec or so to load up the front a bit before I pull it up. You're probably locking your arms and leaning back, sit like a mx rider, on the balls of your feet and leaning way forward with your arms bent. Some guys give it a little bounce with on the pegs to help it pop up too.
It'll come up easy.

·
Ninja Police!
3,147 Posts
Ok a few tips from me...when doing stoppies, endo's, and even wheelies, be aware of where you are and who is behind you. Your buddy may not see you doing a stoppie and he might run you over, which i have seen happen. And not by squids either, just somethings that happen when stunting, same thing with wheelies. Ok now when your going to do a stoppie which is really nothing special, and the first trick squids learn besides sitting on the damn gas tank and kicking their feet like their awesome or something...blah! stupid squids...ok sorry for that got carried away, but you wanna slow down a lil bit before you actually go for the stoppie, your gonna wanna blip the front brake a time or two then squeeze the brake harder, if done correctly and your at the right speed you will just feel bike lift up, but make sure you hold the handlebar straight, or your lid will be scratched up lol, but endo's are actually very sweet looking and tough to master. Ok well anyway just practice and take it one step at a time.

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
i think everyone who can do them should get some pic and post them up on here, i love stoppies ive never had the balls to try them but i have budies that stunt a little:eek:ccasion1

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i can just do the pop the ass end up at the stop light stoppie, not the role down the street variety

·
T Double D
870 Posts
ill be honest with you i had a 636 that i stunted a lot with in fl like full cage 68th sprocket rear handbake and all that jazz and i got really really really hurt doing like80 mph stoppies trying to roll them like the pros kayne one did one on a second gen from like 160 mph and now holds the world record stopie with a second gen zx10 just try to keep you speed down and do them slow remember if you go too fast you cant back down like you can wheelies

and heres a how to off of uponone.com http://www.uponone.com/viewhowtos5.php

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
ill be honest with you i had a 636 that i stunted a lot with in fl like full cage 68th sprocket rear handbake and all that jazz and i got really really really hurt doing like80 mph stoppies trying to roll them like the pros kayne one did one on a second gen from like 160 mph and now holds the world record stopie with a second gen zx10 just try to keep you speed down and do them slow remember if you go too fast you cant back down like you can wheelies

and heres a how to off of uponone.com http://www.uponone.com/viewhowtos5.php
I seen that episode, that guy is fuckin crazy... It was baddass though I think it was 136mph that they clocked him at on the front tire- could you imagine that!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts