Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question about the tre's. i am putting a pc timing mod on my 06 and was wondering if i can do everything with that that a tre will do, or if i should just buy one of those too? i know the tre discussions have been beat to death but i was not able to find this on here anywhere. thanks guys

·
Registered
685 Posts
I could be wrong but this is my understanding.

The TRE places the bike in one gear all the time from an ECM standpoint. So instead of the ignition map for first gear while in first, the ignition map for second while in second and so forth, you get the ignition map for fifth or sixth (not sure) all the time regardles of what gear you actually are in. The lower gears are rumored to have less timing than the higher gears. Its also rumored that the TRE opens the secondaries sooner. (You should have removed them already if you have a PCIII):cool:

The PC Ign MOD allows you to change the timing to what you want it to be just like you can do with the PCIII for the fuel map. So for example, if you enter 4 in a cell, the bike will advance the timing 4 degrees at that RPM and Throttle %.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I could be wrong but this is my understanding.

The TRE places the bike in one gear all the time from an ECM standpoint. So instead of the ignition map for first gear while in first, the ignition map for second while in second and so forth, you get the ignition map for fifth or sixth (not sure) all the time regardles of what gear you actually are in. The lower gears are rumored to have less timing than the higher gears. Its also rumored that the TRE opens the secondaries sooner. (You should have removed them already if you have a PCIII):cool:

The PC Ign MOD allows you to change the timing to what you want it to be just like you can do with the PCIII for the fuel map. So for example, if you enter 4 in a cell, the bike will advance the timing 4 degrees at that RPM and Throttle %.
:+1: but also the timing maps in the bike at wide open throttle are all the same in all gears. in the lower gears there is timing pulled out in the low to mid range only. So the tre will not effect peak hp, there will be no increase but when you use the ignition module and add or subtract timing there is small gains to be had in hp accrossed the rpm range. some would argue that the tre actually will hurt a bikes performance because the bike now thinks its traveling at say 80 mph with ram air and really you may only be going 10 mph. This kind of thing can not be seen on a dyno because the a/f ratio will be ok until ram air effects it

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
:+1: but also the timing maps in the bike at wide open throttle are all the same in all gears. in the lower gears there is timing pulled out in the low to mid range only. So the tre will not effect peak hp, there will be no increase but when you use the ignition module and add or subtract timing there is small gains to be had in hp accrossed the rpm range. some would argue that the tre actually will hurt a bikes performance because the bike now thinks its traveling at say 80 mph with ram air and really you may only be going 10 mph. This kind of thing can not be seen on a dyno because the a/f ratio will be ok until ram air effects it
:+1::+2: I'm with vince on this one for sure.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i guess what i should ask is will the tre interfere with the timing mod? or will there even be any gains at all? and can i chance the limiter with the mod or just the tre? thanks for the responses so far

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
so i guess what i should ask is will the tre interfere with the timing mod? or will there even be any gains at all? and can i chance the limiter with the mod or just the tre? thanks for the responses so far
wont interfere with the ignition module. what are you trying to gain part throttle hp or 100% throttle hp? from my experience with the 04-05 zx-10 it makes power to redline so there is increases to be made with extended rpms but you will need to tell dynojet that you have engine mods( i told them i had rods, pistons , valve springs etc) or they may not give you the go ahead on the limiter change.(you have to fax them a release form)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My engine mods list was so long, but all Dynojet gave me was a stinking 100 RPM's. I laughed at em. Makes me kinda believe it (rev-extend) doesn't actually work.

general01, I recently put a TRE and a Ignition Module on my bike. The TRE didn't do much. I like the Ignition Module though. I think Quick Shifters work better cutting spark than cutting fuel. Just my imagination possibly.
yeah thats a slap in the face. mine was supposed to be 500 but never really tested it on the dyno to see if it worked or not. I do know my head and cams 05 didnt fall off at all to the rev limiter. (hp was still going up when it cut)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was hoping for more all around(arnt we all) but i guess it would be better for more top end. i am setting it up for land speed. the timing mod is so i can pull a bunch out for the turbo. i was goin to grab a tre from a friend, but if its only worth a few xtra rpms then its not worth it to me i guess. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
i was hoping for more all around(arnt we all) but i guess it would be better for more top end. i am setting it up for land speed. the timing mod is so i can pull a bunch out for the turbo. i was goin to grab a tre from a friend, but if its only worth a few xtra rpms then its not worth it to me i guess. what do you guys think?
the tre wont give you the extra rpms, the extra rpms will come from the ignition module if dynojet allows you to increase it. I dont think anyone has hacked the zx-10 ecu yet but i dont believe it is restricted like the gsxr which has a lower rev limiter in sixth gear. as far as i know there is no limiter on a zx-10 other than the factory gearing. With the tre you will have a better timing map at part throttle, i would assume(because i have never done it) that even in top speed racing you would be at wot the whole way in which case you would not see the benefit of the tre which will only give you the better timing map in part throttle applications.:thumbsup:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
On my second 04 the pick up was slotted to create advance. I used it in conjunction with a TRE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts