Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i think ive finally fucked the transmission up in this bike. i noticed once last week. im in second and the bike jumps out and bak into gear real quick. i tried to tell myself that it was improper chain tension but last night i was riding and it happened a few times. im suprised it lasted this long. ive put this bike through some shit. poor thing

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
MAVRIK said:
how the hell are you beating on it so bad...
I'll second that. What are yoiu doing with it that you consider it being beaten on?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Look into the detent spring or the shift fork. My r6 broke its detent on a regular basis. the shift fork is more expensive. The mechanic told me that it kept breaking because the shift rod on the attack rear sets was shorter and put more force on the associated parts. I didn't buy it but I think it's possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jumping out of gear once fully engaged is usually due to worn gear dogs on the transmission cogs. Bent shift fork can help round off the gear dogs as it doesn't fully slide the gears together for full engagement.

If it's either of those, I assume you'll need to fully tear down the motor and split the cases (Not exactly sure with this new motor design) to remove the transmission shafts and shift forks.... Very labor intensive and expensive..... Just parts for my old yamaha 600 were ~$450, and it took a solid 10 hours with no problems to pull the motor, disassemble, re-assemble, and re-install in the bike.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Shocker=another 600R with yamaha gearbox gremlins....I paid $1050 to have my tranny undercut and reinstalled with a factory pro shift kit, on the YZF600R. The yamaha transmission parts are a POS.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
RF900 were know for blowing second gear...that wasn't cheap for my buddy

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Actually in '00 a lot of GSXR750s had 2nd gear go...must be only Honda and Kawasaki that can build a decent tranny. Where are our 10/100,000mi power train warranties?

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I should have said this earlier...the race shop that I go to told me to never use the clutch unless downshifting or coming from a stop, using the clutch allows you to screw up upshifts and destroy your tranny. Just an FYI.
As much as I want a Pazzo lever, I know that I never use the clutch, so I'm trying to be more sensible.

·
Banned
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i think its gonna be a bent shift fork and then ill probably end up replacing 2nd and sixth. im not gonna take it apart till i get some funds together to repair it. it still werks fine for cruising.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Clutchless Upshifts

I agree with the clutchless upshifts as long as you let off on the throttle to release the pressure on the gear dogs. If you try to force the lever with your toe while on the gas, you're just loading up your shift forks and forcing them to bend.

I'd gently shift through and avoid 2nd until you get the time and a $ to fix it. The problem will get worse the more the parts slip against each other.... eventually you may be riding a single gear bike. luckily for cruising, 100 mph is plenty :)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I rode my 600r with no second for 3k miles so you will get hopefully a short season out of her. Any chance she is under warranty still?

·
Banned
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i got five years warannty but i dont trust the fuggers at the stealership and their turn around time is like three monthes for something like this. so fugg them up their arses

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
oi ahd that problem on my'00 750 and i it would pissed me so, so i crashed the bike cuz i was mad at it

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Total time for mine was 16 weeks, so you have a safe assumption. Yamaha kept not sending the gear...said it was special order...and had to come from Japan.

·
Banned
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i took the bike apart last night and finally got the case opened this morning. second was screwed up but not bad. i sent it out to get under cut and only had to order one counter shaft shift fork. so the tally is like 150 so far. im happy that it wasnt more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How is this motor constructed? The cylinders are integral with the "Block", right? Did you have to disassemble the top end to split the cases and get to the tranny.

I'm just curious, I hope I never have to know first hand, but someone here might.

Thanks.

·
Banned
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nah you just take the bottom off the motor. we didnt have to get to anything from the top. it was pretty much a pain in the ass. i just hope my boy remembers how to put this p.o.s. back together

1 - 20 of 26 Posts