Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've had my 2012 for almost a year now. I bought it used with ~16,000 miles on it, and about 3 months ago I was on the freeway when my bike just decided it didn't want to go anywhere anymore. I was in 4th gear, got on the throttle a bit and it just revved up. I had just watched a video about explaining what happens when a clutch goes out so I figured that happened because it was similar to the symptoms I saw. Fast forward a week and my local shop calls me saying it wasn't the clutch. They had inspected the plates and everything was in order so they wanted to look at the transmission. At this point I thought I was royally fucked, but they informed me that I had purchased a warranty that I forgot about. For anyone who hasn't experienced a third party warranty service they take forever to send a person out there to approve or deny the service (at least in my case.) Warranty work gets approved and 3 months later they have all the new parts in the transmission in. They are test riding it and the water pump starts leaking (bad gasket.) About a week later they fix the water pump and now there's no oil pressure :headshake: Has anyone had no / low oil pressure after fixing something in the water pump? What were the causes?

TL;DR How do you fix no oil pressure?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oil pump is dry, air in pump and pickup tube. Pump needs build a little pressure in order to open anti-backflow (rubber flap) valve inside oil filter. Now there is trapped air between pickup tube and oil filter and pump creates no pressure.
Happened to me few times after having oil pan off and bike not started long time.
You need to open filter a small crack, start engine and if oil starts to come out then stop engine, close filter, start again and see if oil level drops (meaning there is flow now).
In you case I would take oil filter off and inject much oil into both holes, it lubricates dry journals and gets pump wet.

Additionally I would check if some genius forgot installing pump chain.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,982 Posts
The oil pump is behind the water pump. They are driven off the same shaft that goes through both. The shaft is driven with a small chain that comes off the transmission input shaft behind the clutch basket which is geared to the crank. A lot of stuff has to be removed to get the shaft and water pump out for that seal. If the drive chain wasn't installed right, oil pressure and water pressure problems are the result.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
None of your problems; experience with Kawa extended warranty which worked well for me;

it sounds like your tech is NOT Kawasaki. My experience with Kawa dealers is that service admin stays in close contact with Kawa Corp. Company watches everything start to finish including photos of failed parts plus other stuff that showed part wear that Kawa elected to replace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts