Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my bike back together enough to test it and it it's tough going from 1st to 2nd and wont go into 3rd or any other gear. I just bought the bike for a track bike and know it went down on the left side enough to break the shifter off the rearset. I took the clutch basket out to look at the shift shaft and it looks fine. The shift drum won't turn past second(it is very tough). Am I right to assume the shift forks are bent?

I bought the bike right and can fix it myself, but I wanted to know if I'm going in the right direction..

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,541 Posts
Most likely damaged some tranny components from going down and applying enough force on the shift lever to break it. Something got bent before the shifter broke off. I would bet it is a bent shift fork or detent arm.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had a problem with one of the 08 10's i had. Both were INS writeoffs & had been down on the left side. I had to replace some parts. So I went with after market rearsets.

One bike shifted perfect. The other was a PITA. I pulled the clutch off & pulled the shift rod(or LEVER-COMP-CHANGE-SHAFT) to check for a bend or the known issue with the cracked weld. Everything was good. So I put it back together thinking I had internal transmission problems that I would have to deal with later.

Long story short. Check to make sure your shifter arm(LEVER-ASSY-CHANGE the one that is attached the shift rod spline) is the right length. The one I had on was about 1/2" shorter then OEM. It wasnt getting the leverage it needed to complete the shift.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i had a problem on my 08 where it would ofter mis-shift (not shift) into 3,4,5,6. So i took the clutch basket out and pulled the shift shaft. it looked good. but i went ahead and replaced it with a new one. it fixed the problem. been riding for quite some time now and no mis-shifts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but like I stated before the shift drum is tight to turn past second.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It could still be the shift shaft. As mityaz stated.
It would be nice if U could borrow a good one just to find out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
the engine needs to be spinning or at least vibrating for the gears to shift good (i.e. from 1 to 6). so when you try to manually turn the drum it might to go far because the position of the two shafts that hold gears is not "favorable" for gears to engage.

the above is based purely on my thoughts, although it does make sense. Anybody?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the engine running it will not shift past second. Even getting into second is a crapshoot. I pulled it apart tonight and when I pulled the lower shift fork out the shift drum would rotate to the other gears. So I'm guessing I need the lower fork. The shift shaft is totally fine, no cracks and is straight. Barely any wear at all on the forks. Gears look great inside.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
With the engine running it will not shift past second. Even getting into second is a crapshoot. I pulled it apart tonight and when I pulled the lower shift fork out the shift drum would rotate to the other gears. So I'm guessing I need the lower fork. The shift shaft is totally fine, no cracks and is straight. Barely any wear at all on the forks. Gears look great inside.
i still dont see how you can state " the shift drum won't turn past second". if you have the engine running, you can't tell that the drum is the culprit. Did you take the forks out? (Split the cases?) How does everything look? Do the forks look straight? Do the grooves on the drum look nice and "machined"? Are the pins that go in the grooves on the drum ok?

Back to the shift shaft... I didn't believe it either when people told me that even though it looked good, it could be causing problems. But it did. I could not see any cracks or bends in it what so ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts