Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has about 40k miles on it and recently the front sprocket or transmission is making a clicking sound while im moving. It speeds up with the bike which makes me lean more towards the sprocket. But i have no idea what it is. The front sprocket is one tooth up from OEM if that helps. Also my valvetrain is a little noisy. Maybe cct? Ill post a video if any wants to see it

·
Registered
105 Posts
How old is the chain? if the chain and sprocket is still in good condition maybe just needs some chain wax.

then again im new so might be talking out of my ass.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chain and both sprockets are maybe a year and a half old. I thought about that too so I did wax them but it comes back after a week or so.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,756 Posts
Chain and both sprockets are maybe a year and a half old. I thought about that too so I did wax them but it comes back after a week or so.
So the clicking goes away when you lube your chain? That tells me the chain is dry and the sound you're hearing is it smacking the swingarm guide. You should lubricate your chain every 3-400 miles.

The chain and sprockets wear together and get tight spots in the chain. As these tight spots run the top of the chain forward, it can bounce on the chain guide and cause an audible clicking noise. Sometimes you'll even feel it it in the left footpeg if it's bad enough. It should smooth out under heavy acceleration as the top chain run tightens. And it will get worse as you're slowing down.

Make sure your chain is properly adjusted and lubricated and see if the noise changes.

The CCT would sound totally different, would not be speed dependent, and would come from the right side of the motor if that were and issue. Doesn't sound like it to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The transmission clicking is unrelated to the valve train noise. I just wanted to add it in there. It is coming from the right side mostly. I can hear it on both sides. It's not incredibly loud, it's just noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts