Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think I may have a bent tranny shift fork or worse :BangHead: My 05 will "pop" out of first gear only when under a "load"...If you creep around in first no problem, but pickup the throttle (not hard or fast) when the RPM's build pop goes the weasel. I was wondering before I teardown and inspect if anyone knows should/can I go with aftermarket (or are there aftermarket shift forks available) vs. OEM?? BTW it has 11,500 miles never had a problem shifting, false neutral, or anything of the type. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
No aftermarket shift forks. Look closely at the engagement dogs as well, they may have rounded edges. If so, you can have them recut or just replace the trans with a salvage unit for less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dsabat, I had looked but could not find anything aftermarket either...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have to pull the motor to change the shift forks? I could have sworn I read a thread that someone said you could change them without pulling the motor or splitting the cases, but I can't find it anywhere now????

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,212 Posts
You'll need to inspect the shift drum as well. My ZX-7R had the same issue and it turned out that the shift forks were worn, but straight. The shift drum had a corner of one of the grooves rounded off where the shift forks ride in and because if this the bike would not stay in second gear. I replaced the shift forks anyway, the drum, and had the gear train indexed and undercut while I had it all apart. But the shift drum was the problem and I had the other stuff done while the tranny was apart.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,212 Posts
the job will be much easier if you pull the motor. You'll have to split the crankcase apart to get to the tranny components. You won't be able to do anything by just pulling the oil pan unfortunately. It's not a hard job, just time consuming and you need to stay organized and patient.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. I am either going to trade it or fix it...haven't figured out which!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts