Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my roommate and i were out riding a backcountry highway last night when out of nowhere my roomies R6 ('99) loses power to the wheels. It seems to definetely be a tranny problem, the weird thing is you can still select gears in the gearbox no problem. But when you put it in gear, any of them, it pushes like it is in neutral; and makes a click click click noise. Personally i have had tranny probs on an R6 before, but it was the opposite, the bike wouldnt shift out of gear. I'm stumped, any of you tech guru's know whats up? Thanks for reading, enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention, the chain was VERY loose after he pulled over. I know it was loose before, but dont believe it was this loose. Also, he said that there was a loud noise right before it happened, but he couldnt describe it because he was jamming to Allanis Morriset too loud on the MP3 player, lol.

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Hey guys, my roommate and i were out riding a backcountry highway last night when out of nowhere my roomies R6 ('99) loses power to the wheels. It seems to definetely be a tranny problem, the weird thing is you can still select gears in the gearbox no problem. But when you put it in gear, any of them, it pushes like it is in neutral; and makes a click click click noise. Personally i have had tranny probs on an R6 before, but it was the opposite, the bike wouldnt shift out of gear. I'm stumped, any of you tech guru's know whats up? Thanks for reading, enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!
You don´t get any push in neutral. :)badteeth:)

Checked out the front sprocket?

·
Registered
242 Posts
(I'm sorry, I just can't resist...)
I knew R1 had problems, I just didn't realize the scope....trannies are damn scary! Especially when they're Big Bang Trannies, y'know the BBT's!!

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I had a problem like that on my old hondog. the counter sprocket shaft strip. the shaft would rotate, but the sprocket wouldn't.

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
I have to admit when I first read you had tranny problems I was wondering how much you had to drink when you met the tranny.

·
Registered
241 Posts

i have always heard that yamahas are notorius for tranny problems i dont know if its just trannys that ride them or if its the transmissions go out but i have heard that changing the transmission on a yamaha is a very long process thats why i satyed away from another one

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Countershaft sprocket came off the shaft because someone didn't install the nut and locking washer correctly. I guarantee it. Hopefully it hasn't smashed up the end of the output shaft.

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
Countershaft sprocket came off the shaft because someone didn't install the nut and locking washer correctly. I guarantee it. Hopefully it hasn't smashed up the end of the output shaft.
AHA! The shaft and nuts are gone! Must be a post-operative tranny.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
This thread = :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts