Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Great idea... the hassle is putting the conventional tape on. I tried doing it but quickly said fuck it it's too much hassle and nor mandated by the providers I do trackdays with

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Actually that's pretty cool. My Gen 1 is track only and I could put that on and leave it on for all the track day's I like it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Some people can afford paying $20 for good looks.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly there have been few times I would have paid it. Doesnt make you any faster or better but Im just not the kind of person that can slap patches of duct tape all over the front and contend with getting all the goo off of my pristine street bike. I usually took my time and taped it neatly with painters tape. That was typically at least a 45 minute job. Now if it happened to be a particularly humid day chances are in the 2.5 hour drive to the track some would come off and I would have to re tape. There are days the 20 spot for saving time and effort would have been an no brainer.

·
Registered
926 Posts
$5 worth of painters tape would last you a whole bunch of track days and take just about as long to put on.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
honestly there have been few times i would have paid it. Doesnt make you any faster or better but im just not the kind of person that can slap patches of duct tape all over the front and contend with getting all the goo off of my pristine street bike. I usually took my time and taped it neatly with painters tape. That was typically at least a 45 minute job. Now if it happened to be a particularly humid day chances are in the 2.5 hour drive to the track some would come off and i would have to re tape. There are days the 20 spot for saving time and effort would have been an no brainer.
:+1:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've sold pieces of vinyl for a while that people would use to cover in the same manor...I didn't pre cut them like they do, but I find it easier to lay down a bigger piece of vinyl and trim to a perfect fit instead of trying to lay down a pre cut piece just perfect so it's not wasted.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
I only had problems with painters tape when it was raining and it started coming apart.

I bought a big roll of vinyl from ebay and that worked out good too.

I kinda would buy that to put on my race fairings, so it looks like i have headlights under there.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Great idea... the hassle is putting the conventional tape on. I tried doing it but quickly said fuck it it's too much hassle and nor mandated by the providers I do trackdays with
Why am I not surprised that you couldn't handle taping your headlights?

It takes me about 10-15 minutes and they usually look perfect.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
i dont understand... you can buy rolls of painters tape, in almost any color to match your bike, and it takes not even 5 minutes to tape a bike, and maybe 2 to trim the edges and make it look good.

i buy black painters tape when using my street bike and it takes literally not even 5 minutes to track prep the lights with tape.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
One thing i always wondered about taping.

From what i understand, you have to tape it because in the old days, when bikes had glass headlights, if you crashed, the tape would keep the glass from going all over the track.

So, assuming this is the reason, and not actually having a headlight on the bike, couldnt you just use clear tape (more like a clear bra like the ones on cars) so you install it once and never have to remove?

By the way, if any of you make this and get rich i expect my cut.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
you are correct that it used to be for glass and that its basically pointless now in the safety aspect of it. however, the other safety aspect is that most riders at track days, get too distracted by their mirrors, and the brake lights and headlights of other bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts