Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new rider and I own a magma red 05 ZX10. I like the bike but the throttle is very responsive and requires alot of concentration. A friend of mine who has been riding a few years now owns a magma red 636. I am considering doing an even trade. My bike has about 61XX miles and his has 67XX miles. His has a D&D slip on with flush mount turn signals and frame sliders. Mine has flush mount turn signals, and frame sliders. All else is stock. I rode the 636 and I felt much more comfortable with the power delivery. The 636 seemed much more agile. Should I stick with the 05ZX and learn to ride it accordingly or should I just swap for the 636? The only issue I had with the 636 was that it required a bit more effort to get into first gear when stopped. Once its moving it went into gear fine. Should be this cause for concern? How reliable is the 636? Any known issues with the motor? trans etc?:smile:

·
Registered
360 Posts
would be an even trade if both bikes were worth the same...but they aren't. It's your money, but I'd want $1000 + the trade, maybe more depending on condition.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't do it, you'll regret it! The ten is so much more fun on the street, I would never go back. Unless you plan on hitting the track often, forget it.
You can make your ten handle better with some suspension mods and tires. Some good tires like poilet powers would really suprise you if you haven't tried them before. Ask yourself, whats more fun? handling or power? :cool:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
I think the 10 has both handling and power in my book!! Funny you say one or the other LOL. But dont do it inless he throws you money on top of the deal and first off why would you even want to do this?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the general consensus is that my bike is worth more and the 10 can handle alot better on the street with the proper mods. I must admit I hate having to rev the piss out of the 636 to get it moving in day to day traffic. With the 10 I can ride around all day in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am considering it because I'm a new rider and I'm hearing you should have started on a 600 blah blah blah. So I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake not starting with the 600. I felt more confident riding the 636 but maybe its psychological because I think now that 636 is "easier" to ride.

I think the 10 has both handling and power in my book!! Funny you say one or the other LOL. But dont do it inless he throws you money on top of the deal and first off why would you even want to do this?

·
5,932 Posts
I started on dirt bikes, got my first at 5 haha, then at 12-13 I started going out to track days with my old man riding his track bikes which were sv650s's etc. But then moved up to a 636 then r1 then two cbr1000rr's then now my 09 10...Had a couple track bikes and stunt bikes in between with a 08 gsxr1000 thrown in the mix for a couple weeks(hated that bike LOL). But really all I have to say is a 600 is a solid starting point to learn on but if your comfortable on that 1000 don't get rid of it, learn on it. Kinda baby it while your still learning but down the road in a year or two if you do this trade your going to regret every minute of it. I wont own another 600 in less its my track bike hands down.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input man. Appreciate it.

QUOTE=abprep07;1293893]I started on dirt bikes, got my first at 5 haha, then at 12-13 I started going out to track days with my old man riding his track bikes which were sv650s's etc. But then moved up to a 636 then r1 then two cbr1000rr's then now my 09 10...Had a couple track bikes and stunt bikes in between with a 08 gsxr1000 thrown in the mix for a couple weeks(hated that bike LOL). But really all I have to say is a 600 is a solid starting point to learn on but if your comfortable on that 1000 don't get rid of it, learn on it. Kinda baby it while your still learning but down the road in a year or two if you do this trade your going to regret every minute of it. I wont own another 600 in less its my track bike hands down.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have both an 04 & 08 10R, and it is true you can make it handle & stop better with $ (which the pilot powers could help alot) but as awesome as they are, the 04/05 is a beast and a custom map goes along way in building confidence with all that power and a steering dampner is a must! If you r willing to spend $ for the proper mods and be super respectful (& smooth) with the throttle then keep your 10! Otherwise get $1000 in the trade (50hp difference) to be fair in my opinion and you will be well served to build your skills on the 636 which is lighter & more flickable.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a custom map can smooth the power out? Is that my understanding? After having done some reading on the forum I have become fully aware that a damper is a must for these bikes. That will be next on the mod list for sure.

I have both an 04 & 08 10R, and it is true you can make it handle & stop better with $ (which the pilot powers could help alot) but as awesome as they are, the 04/05 is a beast and a custom map goes along way in building confidence with all that power and a steering dampner is a must! If you r willing to spend $ for the proper mods and be super respectful (& smooth) with the throttle then keep your 10! Otherwise get $1000 in the trade (50hp difference) to be fair in my opinion and you will be well served to build your skills on the 636 which is lighter & more flickable.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
So a custom map can smooth the power out? Is that my understanding? After having done some reading on the forum I have become fully aware that a damper is a must for these bikes. That will be next on the mod list for sure.
636 plus a grand, no if's and's or but's about it.

As far as smoothness, you can remove your secondary flies for free and it helps out A LOT! But yes, ultimately a good map helps also, but I would remove the secondaries first.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
keep the 10 most importantis that respect factor knowing that when you start to become confident is when its gonna disrespect you

·
5,932 Posts
I would say only remove the secondaries if your planing on investing in a bazzaz or pc along with a dyno/tune with a custom map. You will lose some torque but gain hp once tuned. I lost .5 something in the torque but gained 4 1/2hp after removing mine!!

keep the 10 most importantis that respect factor knowing that when you start to become confident is when its gonna disrespect you

said very well my friend!!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Keep it and just learn to ride and master it. You will be rewarded nicely. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so note to self; removing secondary flies along with a custom pc3 or bazzaz map makes the bike smoother. Any other recommendations guys? Thanks for all the input. In the back of my mind I felt like I was making a mistake with the trade.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Ok so note to self; removing secondary flies along with a custom pc3 or bazzaz map makes the bike smoother. Any other recommendations guys? Thanks for all the input. In the back of my mind I felt like I was making a mistake with the trade.
Well the only thing besides the removal of the 2ndaries and custom map, the only way your bike would be any more smooth is for you to let me ride it! It doesn't get any smoother than that buddy! :crackup:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:lol::helmet:

Well the only thing besides the removal of the 2ndaries and custom map, the only way your bike would be any more smooth is for you to let me ride it! It doesn't get any smoother than that buddy! :crackup:

·
5,932 Posts
You could always add a rifle men 1/5 quick turn throttle down the road too. But for now I think your main focus should be just getting on the bike and feeling comfortable on it respecting it!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts