Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I'm new to litre bikes and TC, when i have the TC in say 3 does it hold the bike back? In warm dry conditions as i was feeling more confident I switched TC to 1 and the the bike felt a little more responsive. It may just be in my head as things come together.

As this is all new to me I'm trying to educate my self without binning the bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Power modes will change the responsiveness, the traction control will just hold back the power to prevent the front wheel from coming up or the rear wheel from spinning.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
My power is always on "Full"and Track control changers with my circumstances!get your head around both options so you no how it reacts otherwise if you are "new"to litre bikes you could end up with big bite marks on your ass for weeks

·
The Pace
7,158 Posts
On g4 tc default is one; I leave it on one but did go thru a period of a few thousand miles on full and never noticed anything. For the TC to come on it takes either wet non riding conditions or stupid throttle work in the turn or just messing around, in my case; but the point is that it takes a lot of messing around to ignite tc on g4. Possible the hard power 4 tires may force tc to come on but doubt it as this bike as np problem spinning the rear if coming off throttle easy to keep outta trouble.

If you're used to 600's you won't have a prob with the 10r; bike is solid and will quickly let you know if you're doing it wrong: ie, you sweat whatever. Get this book:

A Twist of the Wrist Vol. 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Keith Code, Doug Chandler: 9780965045025: Amazon.com: Books

Read it 1000 times and apply techniques and principles until it sinks in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I think as i feel more comfortable i'm getting more out of the bike. I spent a lot of time on track and road and throttle use is good. Probably more in my head as i explore different power options.

Got caught in the rain for 150km trip, RS10s worked quite well with only the odd rear twitch. Very impressed.

Read twist of the wrist and visiting CSS in Feb :wink2:

·
The Pace
7,158 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I think as i feel more comfortable i'm getting more out of the bike. I spent a lot of time on track and road and throttle use is good. Probably more in my head as i explore different power options.

Got caught in the rain for 150km trip, RS10s worked quite well with only the odd rear twitch. Very impressed.

Read twist of the wrist and visiting CSS in Feb :wink2:
Read Code's book 1000 times. Not once. Use it like a research book that has an index; but don't need an index in Code's book as short.

Know the road; if not, dork it several times. Anything that feels off on the bike, there's a reason: then sort it with Code. Superbike classes are perfect but best to dial in with your bike then use Code's rr's; all helps learning but bottom line is that you really have to ride street everyday and do it without upsetting cagers.

Get the techmount fork mount with the tpx radar with wireless helmet insert, if legal in your area.

Remember: faster the flick faster the turn. END OF STORY!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
With TC set to 1 the bike is still held back especially when the front wheel comes off the ground. It may only be up by 1” but the bike will cut power to bring it down. TC mode 3 will feel like you’re tossing out a boat anchor and is quite intrusive and abrupt.

Best to play around on the track where conditions are predictable and you can repeat the same scenario. Flip through the modes and you’ll clearly see their affect.

Or just read a book lol.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The first thing I do when I get on the bike is turn all that crap off.
That’s the best way! That way you can tune your electronics properly. If you don’t know how the bike reacts with it all off then it’s pretty hard to use the aids properly.

·
The Pace
7,158 Posts
With TC set to 1 the bike is still held back especially when the front wheel comes off the ground. It may only be up by 1” but the bike will cut power to bring it down. TC mode 3 will feel like you’re tossing out a boat anchor and is quite intrusive and abrupt.

Best to play around on the track where conditions are predictable and you can repeat the same scenario. Flip through the modes and you’ll clearly see their affect.

Or just read a book lol.
Never ever does tc1 ignite with front up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I made a video to show what happens when you go full throttle in tc 3 2 1 and off.
please excuse the lack of editing.
Ps. Dont rely on the tc stopping wheelies.
Ive had gen4 bolt upright with tc2 on.
It seems to stop trying to control wheelies over a certain rpm and it can catch you out.
Video.
https://youtu.be/BTQXWImJ12s

·
Registered
718 Posts
I made a video to show what happens when you go full throttle in tc 3 2 1 and off.
please excuse the lack of editing.
Ps. Dont rely on the tc stopping wheelies.
Ive had gen4 bolt upright with tc2 on.
It seems to stop trying to control wheelies over a certain rpm and it can catch you out.
Video.
https://youtu.be/BTQXWImJ12s
That's because the gen 4 doesn't actually have wheelie control

·
Registered
838 Posts
That's because the gen 4 doesn't actually have wheelie control
Well it may only be called traction control but from my track videos you can see the traction bar going across when the front lifts and sometimes it brings it down.
I think the traction map needs adjusting so it cuts the power a bit more and for a bit longer.
Traction on the gen4 isnt the worlds best but i run 1 most of the time and usually 2 on a trackday as it makes they tyre last longer

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well it may only be called traction control but from my track videos you can see the traction bar going across when the front lifts and sometimes it brings it down.
I think the traction map needs adjusting so it cuts the power a bit more and for a bit longer.
Traction on the gen4 isnt the worlds best but i run 1 most of the time and usually 2 on a trackday as it makes they tyre last longer
More TC actually lessens tire life.

The gen 4 doesn’t have wheelie control, when the front tire lifts it detects a speed difference between the two wheels and cuts power brining the front down. As said above, it won’t always save your bacon so don’t expect it to bring down some 12 o’clock wheelie but it will generally keep power wheelies in check as long as they aren’t too high. My avatar is 2nd gear full throttle, Tc 1 and reduced through the kit ecu. Much higher than that and it’ll pause for a spilt second and then up she goes!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Strange. My own experience is i cannot get 2 x 20m sessions without destroying the tyre with tc off.
I prefer tc1 coz it still has a good level of cut when you get on the gas whilst on full lean without being too intrusive.
But for me and my riding style i use tc2 to make my tyre last a full trackday

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again thanks for the replies. Seems to be the anti wheelie cutting the power. TC in the book, allows "power slides and wheelies".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts