Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I will start track days this year and I have no problem about what they are asking me to do on the bike except for one thing:you have to drain the antifreeze from the cooling system and fill with water only because they say it could leak and antifreeze is very slippery and can cause and accident.

so I was wondering if the engine will run hotter/with water only .

Is there any other liquid that can be used instead of antifreeze that won't be slippery??

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
What the organizer is asking is semi common here in the US as its not only very slippery but in the event clean up is necessary its a nightmare.

Yes you can add Redline water wetter to the plain water as it helps keep the pump lubed and reduces overall heat.
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp

BD

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Antifreeze is exactly that. It lowers the freezing temperature, but it doesn't improve the thermal efficiency of your cooling system. If you're looking for the best cooling, use distilled water and a few cap-fulls of water wetter.

Some track's allow the use of Engine Ice, http://www.engineice.cc/
I have not used this myself.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I used distilled water and water wetter in the summer and my 06 never went above 91 Celsius in stop and go traffic, once moving on the highway it dropped 10 degrees to about 70. Just make sure you run the bike with the cap off to "burp" the system well. It shouldn't take you any more than 45 mins TOPS!
________
EXTREME VAPORIZER

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks there this really help.going to buy a bottle of Water Wetter tomorrow.
does this mean I could run with distilled water+Water wetter all the time(on the Track and on the road)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I used distilled water and water wetter in the summer and my 06 never went above 91 Celsius in stop and go traffic, once moving on the highway it dropped 10 degrees to about 70. Just make sure you run the bike with the cap off to "burp" the system well. It shouldn't take you any more than 45 mins TOPS!
So 91 minus 10 equals 70 now? :dontknow: But you are right. Remember to "Burp" the system. Depending on the climate you live in you could run Water with Water wetter all year round. I wouldn't anywhere temps drop anywhere near 45 degrees F. But make sure you run the water wetter because water doesn't have the lubricating properties requiered by the water pump and so forth.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You also might want to check with the trackday organization that you are going to do trackdays with some do not even allow water wetter.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
So 91 minus 10 equals 70 now? :dontknow: But you are right. Remember to "Burp" the system. Depending on the climate you live in you could run Water with Water wetter all year round. I wouldn't anywhere temps drop anywhere near 45 degrees F. But make sure you run the water wetter because water doesn't have the lubricating properties requiered by the water pump and so forth.
Bleh, sorry! To clarify I meant 91 in stop and go once moving drops to 70 from the normal 80 it used to be constant at. More or less 10 degrees either way as it used to hit 105 in stop and go. To the OP Tremblant and Calabogie both require you to drain the coolant.
________
Prilosec lawyer

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Trembant is a really nice track, I'm a bit jealous you're closer to it than I am lol!
Dude, try living out here on the west coast of Canada. :lol:

We have absolutely no decent tracks without going into the USA. The closest track here is basically an adapted quarter mile drag with a few corners at the end taking you back to the beginning. Concrete barriers and next to zero run off everywhere don't make it remotely motorcycle safe. Picture a paved cow pasture, and you get the idea.

I saw pics of Tremblant and it looks awesome. Aren't they building a new track in Ontario?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tremblant is my favorite track but there're only 5 trackdays this year because it's a private track it belongs to super rich ferrari importer Lawrence Stroll and he,s using the track for himself and his private club with full of ferrari everywhere.
I saw pics of Tremblant and it looks awesome. Aren't they building a new track in Ontario?
don't know about it but I know super long track 5.26km Calabogie race track and it's new(2004 I think).
there's Mosport also

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You're thinking Calabogie, I did it once last season and it's super fun! New smooth pavement, lots od trees lining the track and elevation changes! It's a toss up between Tremblant and Calabogie.
________
Uggs

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Calabogie is the best track I've ever ridden on, bar none. Very technically challenging and smooooooth pavement (although let's see how long that lasts through Ontario winters).

Mind you ... I've not tried Tremblant ... nor Philip Island!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I always used Distilled water and water wetter. But I would throw in antifreeze when track season was over. I ran my bike at the track and on the street no problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts