Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first...i'm no Valentino Rossi...but I will mostly use my bike for track this comming year.

Can I run DOT race tires (Diablo supercorsa) without tire warmers? or will that damadged them? (hardened them by heat cycles...)

If I run corsaIII, would that be enought of a track tire?...with this one I don't think I would need tire warmers thought.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
The closer you get to pure race tires, the more critical the tires are to heat cycles. And tire warmers seem to make the racier tires last longer. Without tire warmers, you might get cold tearing on race tires or worse yet, damaged plastic when the cold race tires don't have enough grip.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If you're running race tires and its cold out. Definetly. If its 105 degrees out and 115 at the track. You can probably get away without warmers. On street tires you can get away with not using tire warmers. I would always recommend using them though. Proper tire temp is key to feel and wear life.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you're running race tires and its cold out. Definetly. If its 105 degrees out and 115 at the track. You can probably get away without warmers. On street tires you can get away with not using tire warmers. I would always recommend using them though. Proper tire temp is key to feel and wear life.
:+1:

Not to mention that if you're in a competitive group/level, without warmers

you'll have to ride at a 3/4 pace first couple of laps EACH session to warm

them up, and that's valuable track time wasted.

Since you want to use Supercorsas, that's what I've been using exclusively, always with warmers.

:headshake

·
Registered
2,106 Posts

Not to mention that if you're in a competitive group/level, without warmers

you'll have to ride at a 3/4 pace first couple of laps EACH session to warm

them up, and that's valuable track time wasted.

Since you want to use Supercorsas, that's what I've been using exclusively, always with warmers.

:headshake
Yes and if a Have access to tire warmers & your out having fun with your buddies it is nice to go out with confidence & not have to chance wadding your bike up as well if you don't take the few laps to get heat into your tires.
Seen many people try to haul arse the first time on the track with cold tires after U tell them to take a few laps before really wickin it up.:headshake Then next they have a yellow or red flag out & they are getting trailored back into the Paddock.
Just have to have Patience & get heat in the tires without warmers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
the III is a good tire if your not pushing at all get a yellow front and a green rear that should you about 4 or 5 solid full track days
are you sure about this? The diablo corsa III's don't come in different compounds for one. Also yellow is their hardest compound in the race tires...I've never seen anyone run a yellow front? :dontknow: Usually green/green or green rear/blue front

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I use Diablo Supercorsas without tyre warmers no problems, however I do live in a 100 degrees enviroment most of the year.
Awesome tyre by the way. Will not use anything else for the time being.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Are the color code the same as the Pirelli SC code?...usually I've seen SC1 (soft) front SC2 (médium) rear as the most popular combination

SC1 is blue, 2 is green and 3 is yellow I believe Blue being the softest

*edit* actually there is an SC0 which softest but that's basically a Q-tire, you do not want it for track days

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
stick with the corser III's for a while...how much track experience do you have...don't take my question wrong..its just usually a question about tire compound and use of tire warmers indicates a fairly new track rider..if thats the case you will get more from the III's because they will last you several trackdays...also the change from a street/track tire to full on race rubber usually requires more tweaking to the suspension so be prepared for that as well...if this is your first year riding track my advice is to just get as much seat time around the track as possible..don't worry about lap times...work on being smooth with your lines, braking, etc and the speed will come..good luck and have fun..

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stick with the corser III's for a while...how much track experience do you have...don't take my question wrong..its just usually a question about tire compound and use of tire warmers indicates a fairly new track rider..if thats the case you will get more from the III's because they will last you several trackdays...also the change from a street/track tire to full on race rubber usually requires more tweaking to the suspension so be prepared for that as well...if this is your first year riding track my advice is to just get as much seat time around the track as possible..don't worry about lap times...work on being smooth with your lines, braking, etc and the speed will come..good luck and have fun..
Thanks!...yes I'm fairly new...i've done about 5 track day last years...but all on short track. This year I'm switching to long track (Tremblant and Calaboogie). I've got stock suspension...and this is my next step .. suspension upgrades....

So far I'm pretty sure I'll start with Corsa III then maybe depending on the feel of thing on the long track.. I'll switch to more race oriented tires.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Yea the DC3's will serve you well until your pace quickens.

BD
I run the DCIII's & if you need any tire Advice on the Perelli's 1 of my best friends is the Perelli rep for the whole Midwest area pm me I will give ya his Cell# & he can answer any of your questions about the perelli tire you need to know. I know some of the guys on the Board that race know him Shane Stoyko, Racers Supply.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts