Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running Q2 buts I am only getting 2-3 days out of a rear. Im looking for something that will give me a little more confidence and life. I'm thinking of getting a set of Dunlop GPA211s running soft front/med rear. People have also been mentioning SC2/SC1s but I don't know where to buy them. Michelin seems over priced compared to Dunlop. Has anybody used these at a high intermediate pace and how long did they last.

Also, what other options have you guys used. Did you use warmers and what suspension set up do you have. I have looked at other threads but they were mostly about size or it got off tangent.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
tires

I've been using the SC2s on my track bike love them. Going to switch to the Diablo pro trackday slicks they seem to go about 6 or 7 trackdays before needing to be replaced . You can get them from Sportbike Track Gear if your on the east coast.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Pirelli is the one brand that confuses me with there tires.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The bike is not street ridden so I can use slicks. The Diablo Super Corsa won the street tire shoot out but the tires are a lot more expensive than any other tire in the competition. My son is using the Q2s on his Gen3 and we are lucky to get three track days out of a rear.Great grip not Pirelli level but damn close.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Gen3 seems to eat q2 rears.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Well, Q2 should be enough for Advanced pace, but that will be pushing them.

You could go for a DOT tire, which will give you a lot more grip but might not last longer, and you will have to run tire warmers.

If you can have a spare set of wheels, the Pirelli Superbike Pro (slick with the redline) is a great option, it doesnt necessarily require warmers and it wears like iron.

If you do ride on the street and want a DOT most of them are comparable, i would go with what you can get trackside

Michelin Power One Cup
Pirelli Supercorsa
Dunlop GP2011
Bridgestone R10

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have tired the new Q3, It grips better compared to my old Q2, but last longer with compared to Q2. I guess to to its new material/compound used.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had Warmers but haven't had a tire I need to use them with. I'm leaning toward the Pirelli slick with the red line or the GPA211s.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right now I'm running mid-high intermediate pace.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Down by me here in NY a large majority of intermediate group and even alot of the expert group who do not run slicks/warmer use the Pirelli Rosso Corsa. I have never ridden them myself but at our local track people run them and are pushing 1:30's for lap times. AMA 600's were running 1:26 and Josh Hayes on his R1 ran a 1:20 flat at this track FWIW.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have been using Pirelli Sc2 slicks on the track bike. I like them very much but I don't like the price over 400 a set. I was considering switching to the Diablo Pro track day slicks as my buddy got 6 track days out of his rear. the Pro's are 370 a set before shipping yikes. I can get a set of Q3s to the door for 278.98. I have to ask myself are the Pro's really worth the extra bucks.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,056 Posts
im currently running q2 buts i am only getting 2-3 days out of a rear. Im looking for something that will give me a little more confidence and life. I'm thinking of getting a set of dunlop gpa211s running soft front/med rear. People have also been mentioning sc2/sc1s but i don't know where to buy them. Michelin seems over priced compared to dunlop. Has anybody used these at a high intermediate pace and how long did they last.

Also, what other options have you guys used. Did you use warmers and what suspension set up do you have. I have looked at other threads but they were mostly about size or it got off tangent.
I think thats gonna be a bit of a trade off. If your wanting more traction your gonna trade tire life. I would try the new Q3's. They seem to be a good comprimise between the two. Im hearing very good things about them so far.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
lol you want something that doesn't exist. you get one or the other, not both. best mix of both is Q3 if all the hype is to be believed. i scrape pegs on my Q2 equipped street bike and have not a wobble, the tires are capable of being very fast. fyi, the stickier the tire, the less mileage you get from them. you can make a tire last 20 minutes or 20 sessions, all depends on how smooth you ride.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pirelli Pro Slick Rear with SC2 Front are my best bang for the buck.....
I run advanced group and get 6 to 8 trackdays (sometimes with warmers) on Gen4, was getting 12 trackdays on the Gixxer750.

$400 a set for 6 to 8 days, or $278 for 2-3 days with the Q whatever's?....Do the math

·
Registered
578 Posts
first off... check into your suspension and throttle managment techniques for the blame of rear tires only lasting 2-3 days.

as stated above, trade off for better grip is less tire wear, better tire wear, equals less grip.

with that said we are michelin people, you can look and find deals in the off season, and buy all the tires you think you will need for the season, to pay less than buying them in season at the track or dealer level.

the power cup series is there premier dot near slick technology tire. the grip, and feedback are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. the v profile front ( va soft, vb med) front will give great grip, and last for 2-3 rear tires or more. the v series is a triangulated tire which gives a larger contact patch the further the bike is leaned over. this feature allows the bike to have more corner grip, instill confidence in the rider, and offer a feeling of ALOT EASIER AND QUICKER turn in, and transitioning from left to right.

we are mid pack advanced riders, getting 3-4 GREAT DAYS out of a rear, and then flip the tire to get another couple of days, to extend the tire budget.

the cups are expensive but, worth it for the confidence they provide to us. with that said, i wish we could get more life out of the rears on our 636's. i think what i may try soon is a cup front (vb profile), and the newer rear supersport tire combo to see if we can get more rear tire life.

your results may vary, Ski

·
Registered
771 Posts
Pirelli slick with the red line ...I want to try these soon as I get an extra front rim I hear they will go a whole season 8-10 track days...

been running Bridgestone s20's get about 4 days out of a rear

·
Registered
156 Posts
Pirelli slick with the red line ...I want to try these soon as I get an extra front rim I hear they will go a whole season 8-10 track days...

b
I have been running red stripe Diablo superbike pro`s for a year and have 8 track days on them and they are still going strong ,, Best tire I have ever ran .
:thumbsup:
B group rider ...

Reactions: R/T Performance

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
well i used the pirellis red line slicks and luvem....I have 3 track days on them and two races and have yet to switch the back tire around to extend its life..Tons of wear yet..I ride on the slower side of a med pace and i did notice my back wheel break loose a cpl times on a really hot day...Air temps were about 98 and track was 130 f..
The fast boys are running at 1:10ish per lap and im only a 1:23ish area depending on how energitic i am and where my head is but,im so outta shape i couldnt finish lol...
As long as you keep notes on track/air temp and suspension setting for those temps and so on you will love the pirelli superbike pro slick..
only draw back is that you cant sell them to the street riders when your done with them..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts