Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering doing a last minute trackday and will probably only do so if I don't have to buy tires. I have a set of medium compound michelin power race tires on my 6R which I mounted in July 08 and rode about 12 sessions worth of trackdays on (2 trackdays, 1 rainy-5 sessions, 1 dry-7 sessions). They look to be in great shape, and after a short ride around the block, warmed up nicely and was very soft to the touch. My question is, do you think I should change these tires due to the year they've been unused (last trackday was August 08)? Any input or experience is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I say they would be fine, as long as they are still soft and no dry rot I say go for it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If your a beginner track day rider then run them.I would buy new tires if you plan to ride hard though. Power race DOTs dont heat cycle well. I have run them for less time that you have and after they sat un used for a few weeks they never were able to get back up to the temp they need to be. Your call.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna try'em. There's a vender at the track so if I feel uncomfortable, I'll have to buy some. Anyone doing the sportbike track time barber's this weekend? Looks like I am signing up in the intermediate group this time. I haven't ridden a sportbike in about a year and rode around the block the other day and it felt totally foreign to me after the upright, comfiness of my speed triple. So I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advise. BTW roadracer98, I'm not a beginner, but I'm not blazing fast either. I usually sign up in the advance groups and fall mid-pack speedwise. Thanks for the heads-up on the tires, I'll be using warmers to cut down on the heat cycles and will definately feel them out before trying to use them hard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts