Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding for about thirty years...a lot of that on sport bikes...all of that on either road or dirt. I consider myself a fairly decent rider (don't we all ;-) ). I desperately want to get on the track as I want to ride harder but in a controlled environment. That being said, I don't just want to get on the track and ride (not sure if you can do that anyway)...I want to learn to ride on a track well. I live in the Atlanta area and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good school within a couple hundred miles of me.

Thanks...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Schwantz school at road atlanta (big $$ though), also check out Ed Bargy racing school. I know he goes to Barber and to Roebling road (savannah)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
track schools are great and you can have alot of fun...but for the $$$ you can do many more track days...most track day organizers offer 1:1 sessions or there are plenty of other riders that are always willing to assist especially since you already have so much seat time...my advice is to do a couple of track days and then look into the schools if you still want to...cheers...scott

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
track schools are great and you can have alot of fun...but for the $$$ you can do many more track days...most track day organizers offer 1:1 sessions or there are plenty of other riders that are always willing to assist especially since you already have so much seat time...my advice is to do a couple of track days and then look into the schools if you still want to...cheers...scott
I have heard this argument a lot and personally don't buy it...I have been to California Superbike School Level I and II and NO track day rider can teach you what these schools can...

Yeah, been to a few track days too and those riders just ain't what a school can do for you...

My advice is spend the money at a school....then do the track days and have the instructors there show you the lines...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I have heard this argument a lot and personally don't buy it...I have been to California Superbike School Level I and II and NO track day rider can teach you what these schools can...

Yeah, been to a few track days too and those riders just ain't what a school can do for you...

My advice is spend the money at a school....then do the track days and have the instructors there show you the lines...
i'm not saying you don't benefit more from an organized track school vs following someone around a track...just in my opinion i believe an individual will get more out of the track school if they have done a couple of track days first...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
mmm perhaps a unique blend of both may serve those that have the interest but as to which comes first i'm thinkin a school/track combo where one can get group instru with Q&A time and then perhaps apply the techniques, go ride, Q&A time etc, etc.

BD

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
mmm perhaps a unique blend of both may serve those that have the interest but as to which comes first i'm thinkin a school/track combo where one can get group instru with Q&A time and then perhaps apply the techniques, go ride, Q&A time etc, etc.

BD
yeah, that was what my first track day was like....20min Q&A 20min on the track..then back to 20min Q&A and back on the track all day long. I'm just not into much like others are on this site but think OG and Pongo both have good points....but OG not all track day Instructors are just track day guys...my school had a large variety of ex racers or current racers to ask for help anytime during the day or 1 on 1 help.:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
it figures :spit:

BD
Instruction you fool......:heyyou:....never wanted it though I was running the fastest and having more fun passing all in my C group at the time on my ZX9R......made sure I got my monies worth on the track for the fun factor not the instruction :badteeth:

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Well in my experience, the track day guys aren't going to sit down with ,one on one and teach you how to ride like a school will....they may help you with technique and show you lines....but a school will teach you how to ride...

·
Registered
227 Posts
had a very good experience with the star school, 1 on 1 with jason pridmore. i did a open track day before i did the school. i felt like it was a good way to do it, i pretty much new how it felt to be there and could concentrate on riding. the 1 on 1 is by far the best and fastest way to learn. the guys teaching at the track day, pretty much tought us track manors, and the lines of the particular track. the start school instructors, tought us skills usable at any track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts