Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting a "track only" bike so I don't have to worry about screwing up my cherry 10R on trackdays. I have been doing alot of research and looks like you can buy a decent track bike for 3000-5000. Like fully prepped SV650s, Ninja 650s, and other 600s. Jake Holden's 2004 GSXR 1000 is for sale at a shop nearby for a great deal. A local tuner is building a crashed 04 R6 up for 4-5K. Any suggestions? Any of you have dedicated track bikes?

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
05Ti10 said:
I have been thinking about getting a "track only" bike so I don't have to worry about screwing up my cherry 10R on trackdays. I have been doing alot of research and looks like you can buy a decent track bike for 3000-5000. Like fully prepped SV650s, Ninja 650s, and other 600s. Jake Holden's 2004 GSXR 1000 is for sale at a shop nearby for a great deal. A local tuner is building a crashed 04 R6 up for 4-5K. Any suggestions? Any of you have dedicated track bikes?
Yes my bike is a dedicated race/track bike. Suggestions....DO IT!!! Its worth it and a track only bike is awesome to have. Not sure what other suggestions you want but if you got any more specific questions holla

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i'm thinkin about doin the same thing. i'm lookin for a 03-04 zx-6RR (05-06 would work to), so it has the slipper clutch. after riding with one on the 10r, i dont want to be without it! the honda 600rr is also a great handling bike.

·
Registered
383 Posts
05Ti10 said:

The track only bike is great if you can afford it. No compromise when doing set up on suspension, gearing and buying parts are much more fun. I'd suggest going with something sorted. The track time is expensive trying to get the bike working. I'd go for a winning bike so you can focus on riding and fine tuning rather than trying to find the ballpark.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ya'll. Pretty much confirmed what I thought. It would be great to have a dedicated track bike. I am going to continue to think about this. Would be great to turn my 10 into a track monster, but then I have to get something else for the street duty. I really want to sell my KX250 since I am getting a bit old to be getting beat up on that thing. Unfortunately, having a hard time selling it due to no one wants 2 strokes anymore.

Those of you with wives, how did you sell them on the idea? Tried to tell her that just in case I dumped it, it would be cheaper to fix a track only bike. Then she replied, "so I guess you'll be pushing it harder and taking more risks on a track bike and more likely to crash!" "You have a prefectly good ninja that you could use on the track that you would be more careful on".......damn guys....think I am screwed. If she only knew some of the things I do on those abandoned back roads right now........

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
uh, if the wife says no, then its probably no. but you can tell her in the end it will be less expensive, because you wont have to fix your 10r all the time from wreckin at the track! if you wreck a track bike, who cares, just ride it without the fairings!! good luck bro.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
she is not buying it.....I am screwed on a track only bike.:headshake Looks like I will be taking the 10 to the track days and just being more careful.

Thinking about getting the bodywork that has the cutouts for the lights. I know sharkskinz has it. I have heard that endurance has it to, but can't find the site.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
If by chance you get a $5k ticket? You are screwed also. ".......damn guys....think I am screwed. If she only knew some of the things I do on those abandoned back roads right now........

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just picked up a 636 for the track. Although, I'm using it on the street a little too, it will be the only bike I take to the track. I took the 10 to the track and I felt ok, but I know I'll learn the track techniques faster and easier on a smaller bike. I'll probably fully convert it to track duty (i.e. plastics, etc.) next summer but for now I got two street rockets.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tried all of that......

I want a track bike...I want a track bike....whaaa:crybaby2: :argue: :whipping: Story of my life...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts