Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put down on a new '21, will sell my S1kRR in the Spring probably. Pickup is tomorrow.

Long time rider (>20y), street and track. Last Kawi was the '05 636, which I rode nearly 10y. Hoping this MY is as reliable as my 636 was since I don't have a lot of confidence in the local dealer.

Anyway, big fan of forums for quality info; FB Groups are literally shitshows. Thanks for the past Gen6 info, it helped inform my buy. I'll be looking for info on weaknesses that should be addressed before Advanced track events, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
815 Posts
A lot of the stuff carries over from gen 4 2011 to gen 5 and 6 first thing is to get an aftermarket shock and steering dampner, I would say flash to EU settings but not out yet as restricted as hell in USA.

Gen 4 and 5 full systems fit gen 6 however there maybe interference with the oil cooler potentially, if can route around great if not new oil lines should sort it or get a specific gen 6 exhaust.

Fork cartridges or piston kit and spring relocation kit for the bff.

All depends on the budget and what the keys are.

But a must is rearshock and dampner.

The good thing in getting the gen 6 is its a sound platform with lots of parts available and is a refined version of the gen 4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the suspension was the biggest unknown with brakes being next (the 636's were horrid/scary). I'll bring over my Brembo MC from the beemer and get braided lines; cheap enough. The MA-spec Penske I had on the beemer spoiled me and is the main reason I hadn't switched last spring. I may try getting away with fork internals to start as I did on the beemer since it looks like a "phase 2" from your list, RBZ.

Wife was worried about a "new gen" bike but the lack of major change on the engine made me less worried.

I very much appreciate the crossover option comments. Likely I'll be looking into all that as the list develops.
  1. Armour bodies (only one with SBK seat?)
  2. Track wheels (talking to Davo on the Titax's)
  3. Shock
  4. Rearsets (GP)
  5. Brake lines (and maybe XX pads)
Lastly, my read is that the OEM header is quite good so a 3/4 is sufficient. Opinion? Cat will go for sure.

·
Registered
831 Posts
There are a few companies selling a 2021 ECU flash now. The forum sponsor Bren Tuning is one of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
leave stock shock m front forks. upgrade to veshra xx pads. the brake lines are steel braided. dump cat w either link pipe or a link pipe n can. oem header is ti anyway. de smog w ecu flash is available. check 2 wheel dyno .com. i fun bunlop slucks on oem rim gen 5. -1 frt +2 rear for most tracks w OEM 525 chain. did hot bodies painted green. manual damper w speed healer module on harness. upgraded master w 19x20 brembo n voxtex bars. n gp shift rear sets Graves quick turn throttle tube. enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
18 zx10r
730 Posts
Penske shocks are great. Loved the one I had on my 636. Got an ohlins this time around though. Couldn't pass up a good deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RB, that swingarm will drive me right into divorce proceedings. My goodness it is beautiful, and with a KTech to boot. Wish the GaleSpeeds fit stock swingarm :(

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah a lot of the parts there were on the 2020 FS3 BSB bike, even has the motec M170 control ecu 🤑

Had other stuff but it goes fast! Have to check back every now and then haha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts