Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Track days or just the street?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This actually came up in another thread, and i'm curious of what kind of percentage of people on zx-10r.net do track days? Please cast your vote, i'm very curious and i'm sure a lot of other people on here would like to know as well.... :smile:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I would say yes even though its been a while since ive been to the track with no money LOL but yeah im a die hard track junkie...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thats what the bikes were made for right?

If you bought a 10 just to cruise around and look good, you're missing the best part of it!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Done 3 track days... addicted.

Still ride on the street, just a lot more tame/laid back riding. I save the fun stuff for the track mostly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Put street, as I have only been to a go cart track (it was sh*t loads a fun, got knee down, slid the rear a bit). The only reason I haven't done a real track day is the lack of one near me. The local track is a joke with concrete barriers all over and rules regarding noise that make little sense. I'd love to hit Seattle or Portland but at that point I'd need to bring a truck and cross the border with bikes and gear. It would be a major PITA but I'm planning try to get a day or two in next year.

·
Registered
198 Posts
iv'e only ridden street so far but would love to get out and do some track days :mrgreen:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Attention everyone! Free advice!

Avoid the track at all costs, all it will do is suck every last penny from your bank account and forever ruin the fun in street riding!:wink:

Hello, my name is Jon, and I'm a Trackaholic!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
when I had the '05 I went to the track as much as financially possible, but sold it and will be getting the next for mainly street. And trackdays when it can be swung (couple times a year)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Attention everyone! Free advice!

Avoid the track at all costs, all it will do is suck every last penny from your bank account and forever ruin the fun in street riding!:wink:

Hello, my name is Jon, and I'm a Trackaholic!
:iamwithst

·
Registered
843 Posts
Just street... ya see.... I go to work at 3AM and it's an almost 50 mile trek... I'm on the road at about 2:15 AM and I have it all to myself every weekday so I ride to work like I'm on the track! There are 3 different ways to get to work every morning so I change it up!:cool:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
"Once you go Track,you never look Back"

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I have only ridden street but as soon as I get a suit I'm heading to the track. Are track days really as expensive as they sound?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have only ridden street but as soon as I get a suit I'm heading to the track. Are track days really as expensive as they sound?
Just all depends on how often and hardcore you get into it! :thumbsup: I'd say the biggest expense would have to be tires though...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are track days really as expensive as they sound?
Yes and no.
If you have a track nearby and only go a few times the cost is not that bad. Maybe $200+ a day.

Once you get hooked the cost never ends. In addition to track fees of about $200 a day: I travel 250 to 500 miles (one way) pulling an enclosed trailer (2,000 - 5,000). I'll spend over $250 sometimes on gas getting there and back. You will replace tires more often (and buy better more $$$ tires) Then you need tire warmers ($300 - $600). Then you need a generator for the warmers ($1000 and up). Of course there's rear sets, exhaust, pc, stabilizer, suspension work, stands etc etc.

Don't forget hotel rooms and / or camping gear.

Now you're really hooked, and need race plastics ($1000) to make your bike track only. Then you need another bike for street.

Then there is gear:
Nice leathers $1000-$1500. Good boots $400. gloves $150. New Helmet $500. Back protector $150. This is not the place to go cheap.

Then there is crashing $$$

I'm sure you get the idea. I would guess I spend over $1000 a weekend easy and that does not include a lot of the 1 time cost. Overall, I put out well over $10,000 a year to go six or eight weekends.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Yes and no.
If you have a track nearby and only go a few times the cost is not that bad. Maybe $200+ a day.

Once you get hooked the cost never ends. In addition to track fees of about $200 a day: I travel 250 to 500 miles (one way) pulling an enclosed trailer (2,000 - 5,000). I'll spend over $250 sometimes on gas getting there and back. You will replace tires more often (and buy better more $$$ tires) Then you need tire warmers ($300 - $600). Then you need a generator for the warmers ($1000 and up). Of course there's rear sets, exhaust, pc, stabilizer, suspension work, stands etc etc.

Don't forget hotel rooms and / or camping gear.

Now you're really hooked, and need race plastics ($1000) to make your bike track only. Then you need another bike for street.

Then there is gear:
Nice leathers $1000-$1500. Good boots $400. gloves $150. New Helmet $500. Back protector $150. This is not the place to go cheap.

Then there is crashing $$$

I'm sure you get the idea. I would guess I spend over $1000 a weekend easy and that does not include a lot of the 1 time cost. Overall, I put out well over $10,000 a year to go six or eight weekends.
:eek2:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts