Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried running a track day without a steering damper? Have not felt much of any head shake on the street, but don't want to waste my time hitting the track and leaving early.
Input needed!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
only if you are seriously depressed...get a dampner.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
That is a pretty tall question to answer since we don't know how you ride. A damper on an 04-05 is prolly a good thing to have. Maybe you have a sweet setup. But having a backup ie damper can be a plus.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I'd get a damper if I was you...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the answers I thought I would get. just didn't want to shell out the extra $$$ yet, was looking forward to getting her on the track....Guess better safe than sorry.
:sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I rode at Texas World Speedway about a month ago for a track day and when I was coming down the grand stand wall, it scared the shit out of me cause I was already rolling bout 145 and the damn bars wanted to jump out of my hands...

So I toned it down untill I get my stabilizer...

Hey hillcountry10r have you ridden TWS ???

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have done 3 track days without a damper...Guess that makes me stupid.....If you have your bike set up it should be fine until your really start getting fast. I will do my first track day this summer damperless, but if I feel that I need one, I will buy one before my next track day.

The biggest thing is learning all you can about suspension set-up and get it set right before you get there....You will most likely make small adjustments once you get to the track, but you should have the sag set before you get to the track.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
I'd get a damper if I was you...
:+1: however, ide check the major reasons for headshake before throwin one on there.... when my head bearings were loose, Ide get head shake everytime the front end would get light, just something you might wanna check if you havent done so already..Dunlop tires have been known to give high speed wobble...If youve changed those, thats good...Dampers only hide underlying problems if you put em on just cause you think you need one.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
the 2 posts a bove are correct to an extent...

however, you can and will get headshake even with a perfect set up. Its just the nature of the beast. Thats why motoGP bikes and SUPERBikes have dampers too. :1848:

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you get it you wont think about it ag. If you don't, there is little else you will be thinking about when you go fast. Get it.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
the 2 posts a bove are correct to an extent...

however, you can and will get headshake even with a perfect set up. Its just the nature of the beast. Thats why motoGP bikes and SUPERBikes have dampers too. :1848:
:+1: i sholy didnt mean that he shouldnt get one, just to make sure that his bike is setup as well as he can get it in addition.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Dooganx1 said:
Thats the answers I thought I would get. just didn't want to shell out the extra $$$ yet, was looking forward to getting her on the track....Guess better safe than sorry.
:sad: :sad: :sad:
Get to the track. You WILL NOT crash because you don't have a damper. Like others said, set your sag and if you can't you can probably find someone at the trackday to get your suspension dialed in for your weight at least. Then remember to grip the bike with your legs and relax your hold on the clip-ons when accelerating. I'm not the fastest guy out there but I am by no means slow and I did 3 trackdays with the 10 before installing a damper and only experienced minor headshake. No worse than the '98 R1 I had. So start saving for a damper, but get to the track in the meantime.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
463 Posts
mach_man_187 said:
I have done 3 track days without a damper...Guess that makes me stupid.....If you have your bike set up it should be fine until your really start getting fast. I will do my first track day this summer damperless, but if I feel that I need one, I will buy one before my next track day.

The biggest thing is learning all you can about suspension set-up and get it set right before you get there....You will most likely make small adjustments once you get to the track, but you should have the sag set before you get to the track.
whatever - like I said it's all fine until the bars start slapping.

you could ride a hundred track days and never have a problem, but it's that one time when you need the extra resistance and dont have it that causes the problem. Like frame sliders its cheap insurance. Insurance which you can sell after sell the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feed back- looking to get my a$$ on the track and don't have a lot to spend.v3 kids help that out. But it sounds like better safe than sorry... See if e-bay's got something.......Anyone hitting VIR soon?

Thanks to all .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Dooganx1 said:
Thanks for the feed back- looking to get my a$$ on the track and don't have a lot to spend.v3 kids help that out. But it sounds like better safe than sorry... See if e-bay's got something.......Anyone hitting VIR soon?

Thanks to all .:thumbsup:
do a search for "economical steering damper" you will be suprised at what u find. CHEAP! and it works.:thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Dragone said:
That is a pretty tall question to answer since we don't know how you ride. A damper on an 04-05 is prolly a good thing to have. Maybe you have a sweet setup. But having a backup ie damper can be a plus.

:+1: My first track day with the 10 and I am not smooth as I am heavy on the gas, the 10 coming out of a corner I would hit so hard and the bike would wheelie or skim the surface. It was violent at times and can be scary as it launched me to the next corner in a hurry and I had a Steering Dampner. So your money but I can't imagine what it would have been like without one.:badteeth:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Save yourself get the damper...your not fixing a glitch in the bike youre fixing a glitch in the rider...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts