Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting new tires on my 2004 '10' this weekend - currently has Dunlops, but a local racer swears by Pirelli Super Corsa DOT's. This is a track only bike - any suggestions?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
A pirelli will never touch my bike after the last time I used them. All I have to say about them is they freaking suck in my eyes. Just go with michelin pilots man or wait for the new dunlops to come out here in the nexted month

·
Registered
615 Posts
I can't speak for anything other than Bridgestone...as i haven't used anything else. But the BT-002rs (phased out) and the new BT-003's (DOT Race) have yet to fail me.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
yeah there solid tires too, never tried them but definitely have seen them out and about on the track days...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Dude, I ran my street tires on track when I 1st started doing trackdays and they worked awesome. They are the Dunlop Qualifiers. I don't care what anyone says. The grip and confidence is great. As you get better and your corner speed increases you change tires. I now use the Dunlop 211 N-Tec race DOT's. I am a true Dunlop guy. With the street Qualifiers, if you're just starting out on the track (Novice), they will be sufficient enough for a while. Just remember to drop the pressure's and they will work beautifully. I am waiting to try the new Qualifier 2's to come out Sept 1st. It's Dunlop's new dual compound and SportRider mag say they tested great.

This is if you like Dunlop's, of course. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'm putting new tires on my 2004 '10' this weekend - currently has Dunlops, but a local racer swears by Pirelli Super Corsa DOT's. This is a track only bike - any suggestions?
I've run the SuperCorsa Pros and the DOT's. SC1 front &
SC2 rear are a great combo. Very sticky and confidence
inspiring.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
^^^ Why thank you, Sir. :eek:ccasion1 You see the charts Abrep posted are of the new Q2's.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I run bridgestone bt003 and they are an amazing tire. I'm sure the pirelli super corsa is a great tire, but really, you will extract the most out of any race DOT or slick if you setup your bike to that specific tire and learn the characteristics of the tire. As soon as you move up your pace to A group level, start thinking about a race DOT, any of them are great really!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think it all depends what group you're riding in. I'm guessing you're not in A or you prob wouldn't be asking such a general question.

I would avoid any DOT tires - more expensive, you don't need it, and no hassle with warmers. I'm on 003RS right now and like them a lot. 016 is good for novice pace, but the edges will be destroyed in no time if you're near the front. I wouldn't hold your breath on the Q2, I don't think they'll be available for months. Pilot Powers, DC3, or just about any other tire will have more than enough grip up to fast intermediate.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
^^^
What rabbit said.

Too many people do a couple trackdays then think they need to slap on some DOTs or I've even seen a novice guy running slicks before. :rolleyes: If that makes you feel better then I guess rock on but it's just not necessary with how good tires are nowadays.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts