Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer break is over and track day season started last weekend.

Was a blast, tweaked the bike over the summer and was ready to go.

Arizona Motorsports Park - XCEL Track Days

Intermediate B Group on my Gen 2 ZX10

Got a little ham-fisted on one of the double apex turns while leaned over and spun up the rear pretty good,
tossed me up on to the tank. Lets just say it was a good reminder to slow down a little.

Over all was a good day and getting ready for the next one.

Have some video, sorry for wind noise, normally use external mike, something happened and didn't record.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Nice! I can't wait to get back out there on the track.
I got some questions on your Gen2 setup. What's your suspension setup like?
I remember on my first trackday it felt like I was kind of fighting the bike, but my fork seals were leaking I think that's why I had to work so hard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice! I can't wait to get back out there on the track.
I got some questions on your Gen2 setup. What's your suspension setup like?
I remember on my first trackday it felt like I was kind of fighting the bike, but my fork seals were leaking I think that's why I had to work so hard.

Yeah if your fork seals were leaking its going to effect your suspension up front for sure it will throw the dampening off. If you have repaired the seals and done the basic static sag set up for your weight you should be close. You will just have to adjust compression and rebound to your liking. If your riding a Gen 1 like me the front forks are harsh. I run my front with very little compression and just adjust rebound to my liking. I would only adjust one thing at a time. If you choose compression adjust it till your happy and then move on to rebound. When your sitting on the bike bounce up and down a few times have someone watch to make sure both ends of the bike compress and rebound at the same speed.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ninja - Tech summed it up pretty good, I agree with everything he said.

I try to keep everything in budget and out there for fun.

Front suspension - change fluids annually.

Rear suspension - I re-sprung for my weight with race tech spring.
Also had rear shock dyno'ed, rebuilt and maintained.

Keep in mind rear shock needs maintenance like front. Your rear
shock is now like 11 years old and may of never had oil changed and
nitrogen charge may of leaked out by now. Leaky bladder not uncommon.

But, yes, you should not be fighting your bike what so ever.

The stock suspension maintained, sprung correctly and set up is pretty good.

I'm definitely "not" out riding the stock suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yeah if your fork seals were leaking its going to effect your suspension up front for sure it will throw the dampening off. If you have repaired the seals and done the basic static sag set up for your weight you should be close. You will just have to adjust compression and rebound to your liking. If your riding a Gen 1 like me the front forks are harsh. I run my front with very little compression and just adjust rebound to my liking. I would only adjust one thing at a time. If you choose compression adjust it till your happy and then move on to rebound. When your sitting on the bike bounce up and down a few times have someone watch to make sure both ends of the bike compress and rebound at the same speed.
Thanks for the advice! The Gen 1 is currently street only and actually just got the fork seals done on that one too since they were leaking and that made a huge difference even just on the street, my gen 2 once back running will be the track duty bike though.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ninja - Tech summed it up pretty good, I agree with everything he said.

I try to keep everything in budget and out there for fun.

Front suspension - change fluids annually.

Rear suspension - I re-sprung for my weight with race tech spring.
Also had rear shock dyno'ed, rebuilt and maintained.

Keep in mind rear shock needs maintenance like front. Your rear
shock is now like 11 years old and may of never had oil changed and
nitrogen charge may of leaked out by now. Leaky bladder not uncommon.

But, yes, you should not be fighting your bike what so ever.

The stock suspension maintained, sprung correctly and set up is pretty good.

I'm definitely "not" out riding the stock suspension.
Cool, definitely gotta get my sag set and that rear shock serviced on mine when I get it back up and running, thanks for sharing man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts