Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as most of you know, I was back at the track yesterday for the first time since my crash last June. It was also my first time riding the 10 with the wheels, brakes and gearing. Yesterday was a great day. The weather was probably in the 60's with some clouds. I went out with my friend Brian, and another friend of ours who is a really fast up and coming racer. He put a 600 on the F1 podium last race weekend. He also has a great deal of knowledge of suspension setup, so he was there to help us out. The first few sessions of the day I was really tight and sore on the bike. I felt like I could not move, and my hands were hurting from holding on too tight. My friend made a few adjustments to my suspension, and fixed my slightly crooked clip on, and instantly things were better.I didnt quite get up to the pace I had on my 600, but it also has been a year since I have been to Willow.

As for the bike, I have to say it was amazing. The handling is literally on par with the 600. The brakes are rediculously strong, causing me to scrub too much speed on corner entry more than a couple of times. The bike feels as close to a 600 as a litre bike can possibly feel. The tires had an amazing amount of side grip. The only problem I had was some straight line stability, as the bike was giving me a good wiggle down the front straight. All in all, I think the bike was great. I think I may need to go down another tooth on the counter sprocket, as I was just barely hitting 6th on the front straight. I have to say though, the wheel, suspension, tire combo was the best I have ever felt. With some more practice, I know I can get faster on this bike, than I ever was on my 600.

I let my buddy take the bike out too for a couple of sessions, as I was done for the day by 2:00PM. He rides a superstock R6, and does consistent 1:23's at Willow, on DOT's. He was amazed at the way the bike handled, saying it really felt like a 600 in the corners. He couldn't get over the amount of power either. I think he had more fun on it that I did. Even riding conservatively at what he said was about 60% for him, he managed to get the bike into the 1:29's, faster than I have ever been around Willow, lol.

Anyways, all in all it was a great day, and i'm ready for more...

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
woot!

Great story Ara and thanks for takin the time to post it for us all to read! :wink:

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. A couple of other quick things. Robbie Dowie was out there flying around on his 06 Advanced Kawasaki sponsored ZX-10. That was fun to watch.

Also, I now need a new lower. I was going into turn 9, when someone decided to try and pass me on the outside. I guess he ran out of track, caught a piece of my lower with some part of his body or bike, ran off and crashed. I pulled in and saw my lower all busted up on the left side. Im just happy I didnt go down too, as turn 9 is not a fun place to crash.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Ara said:
Thanks guys. A couple of other quick things. Robbie Dowie was out there flying around on hos 06 Advnaced Kawasaki sponsored ZX-10. That was fun to watch.

Also, I now need a new lower. I was going into turn 9, when someone decided to try and pass me on the outside. I guess he ran out of track, caught a piece of my lower with some part of his body or bike, ran off and crashed. I pulled in and saw my lower all busted up on the left side. Im just happy I didnt go down too, as turn 9 is not a fun place to crash.
WOW. Good to hear yah didn't lay it down. Good job

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Good to hear you're back at it and the bike is working good. Like I said before, I can't wait until the wife graduates law school in a couple months and starts making some money. Then maybe I can build a SWEET trackbike like yours. Definitely my favorite on the site. No unnecessary crap, just what's needed to do quick laps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
phastone said:
Definitely my favorite on the site. No unnecessary crap, :thumbsup:
:+1: :+1: :+1:

just 1 ? ara your brembo,s are they the 2 pad caliper or the 4 pad and how do you like them,,i,ve just fitted brembo calipers to my 10 and m/s,mine are not the monoblocks but the new 2 peice race caliper 2 pad

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Sounds like fun!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ara said:
So, as most of you know, I was back at the track yesterday for the first time since my crash last June. It was also my first time riding the 10 with the wheels, brakes and gearing. Yesterday was a great day. The weather was probably in the 60's with some clouds. I went out with my friend Brian, and another friend of ours who is a really fast up and coming racer. He put a 600 on the F1 podium last race weekend. He also has a great deal of knowledge of suspension setup, so he was there to help us out. The first few sessions of the day I was really tight and sore on the bike. I felt like I could not move, and my hands were hurting from holding on too tight. My friend made a few adjustments to my suspension, and fixed my slightly crooked clip on, and instantly things were better.I didnt quite get up to the pace I had on my 600, but it also has been a year since I have been to Willow.

As for the bike, I have to say it was amazing. The handling is literally on par with the 600. The brakes are rediculously strong, causing me to scrub too much speed on corner entry more than a couple of times. The bike feels as close to a 600 as a litre bike can possibly feel. The tires had an amazing amount of side grip. The only problem I had was some straight line stability, as the bike was giving me a good wiggle down the front straight. All in all, I think the bike was great. I think I may need to go down another tooth on the counter sprocket, as I was just barely hitting 6th on the front straight. I have to say though, the wheel, suspension, tire combo was the best I have ever felt. With some more practice, I know I can get faster on this bike, than I ever was on my 600.

I let my buddy take the bike out too for a couple of sessions, as I was done for the day by 2:00PM. He rides a superstock R6, and does consistent 1:23's at Willow, on DOT's. He was amazed at the way the bike handled, saying it really felt like a 600 in the corners. He couldn't get over the amount of power either. I think he had more fun on it that I did. Even riding conservatively at what he said was about 60% for him, he managed to get the bike into the 1:29's, faster than I have ever been around Willow, lol.

Anyways, all in all it was a great day, and i'm ready for more...
Sounds like you had a good track day:thumbsup: ..... I'm going here in a month, I can hardly wait, its been a while..

Just curious but what tires are you running??....

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I could be wrong...but I think he's running the 16.5 Dunlop slicks...

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, Hill is correct, I am running 16.5 Dunlop Slicks.

ZXTOM - What day are you going and with which organization?

jayrc30 - Mine are the 4 pad Monoblocks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's always stressful the first few trackdays after a major crash. The longer the time-off between the crash and the next trackday, the worse it is. Just ease yourself into the grove again.

I also had headshake problem in the past and Dale Kieffer told me to relax on clip-ons. So now, I hold them like I hold a putter. :beer:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
ninjasquasher said:
is ara a professional racer?? or a mag writer???? im new to site ..
nice write up on the 10!!
naw hes just a pimp daddy that frequents the site! :badteeth:

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Andy said:
I would have gone with speed junkie. :eek:ccasion1
:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts