Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm doing a track day at Willow Springs on Monday and it looks like its going to rain.:angryfire I'm a little nervous because this only my second time on the track. I've been told to be smooth and ride the track in a gear higher than usual. Any other tips would be appreciated.

I'm using Metzler M1 Sportech tires, what pressure should I run them at?
thanks

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hey Crash,

I will be there Monday as well, I don't have much experience riding on a wet track eather.

A gear high and smooth sounds like a plan.

see you at the track.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
They also sell rain track tires too..... i have had this same threat it does worry me too.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
I've never run Metzlers wet or dry so I ca'nt say for sure but in the past wet days I've run a pound less in each than I normaly do

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the advice. hopefully I can keep the green beast in check tomorrow.

KaTooM, socal see you at the track.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
There's alot that can be learned on a wet track, sliding around for one. And you're probablly less likely to crash in the rain since you won't be pushing it. Just take it slow and learn how much grip your tires have and how fast you'll be able to go. Be safe.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Well here I am all loaded up and no place to go, till tomorrow that is. I just hope they run rain or shine, got my never worn rain suite out just in case! Like Andy said it could educational. And good timing I'm a Champion Rider now! :crackup:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found a rain suit while I was doing some last minute shopping tonight. Hope I won't have to use it...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Great day at the track,

I met all types of people for the first time as well, of course I couldnt remember all the names if I tried!

I must say TrackDaz has improved from the last time I rode with them. No more lunch break, no more stopping on red flags. everything ran very smooth.

The only downside was alittle rain after lunch..ok alot of rain, but I suited up in my virgin rain suite and rode my A$$ off. :helmet:

The rain soon let up and they they announced open track, (alot of people packed up when the rain came) so it was game on.

All in all a very good day...oh and my first time in race group at this track and they didnt even kick me out or run me over.

One more thing I set a new personal record 203 miles three full tanks!

Hope to see some of you at California speedway on the 22nd.

A couple of pictures... the first one is from the lookout point on the drive up awsome sunrise i had to stop and snap one.

Oh it good talkin with you SoCal, sweet bike!

And it was nice meeting you and your family Skid..and thanks for the gas! :cool:

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Awesome pics Katoom. I guess everyone made it through the day without incident?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hey Andy,

you were right I rode quite a few laps in the rain and it was way fun, and great experience allmost had the track to myself till it cleared up.

Yup, no incidents of the 10R kind or 636.

·
Registered
240 Posts
hey katoom so what did the tires grab and how fast were you able to get the turns

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
ela89gixxer said:
hey katoom so what did the tires grab and how fast were you able to get the turns
I was running super corsa pro SC2's, my 3rd track day on them too...and they were great, very predictable I had zero rain time before today so it was slow going at first.

But I slowly increased my speed till I could feel a little slip both front and back. I was going way faster than I thought possible but still pretty slow.

I did learn to get my body out there alot more so I didnt have to lean so much that really helped in the rain.

Now its miller time!:beer:

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
sounds like a good day....i've run with trackdaz during the rain and one great thing is the way they cancel the sessions and make it open....no wonder you were able to get 200+ miles in and i also like the new format they run this year as well....i'll be doing fontana for the first time on the 22nd so i'll see ya there.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good times at the track. I did about 120 miles yesterday (you're a track animal Katoom!) I liked that Track Daz made the rainy part of the day open to all who wanted to go out. I was a little aprehensive at first being on the track with the race guys but it turned out ok.

I'll get some pictures and video posted tonight.

Good meeting you Katoom and socal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts