Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i just bought a Gen 4 and i am looking for suggestion on what to acquire in order to have a bike that is even more track focused.
Ideally i wanna start racing this year (i am in Australia) as i have about 3 years experience on track.
Bike has the following already.
  • Woolich tune, with tools.
  • Vortex rearsets. Only thing is that i am not sure how good the GP shift is as bike was used with stock pattern. I reversed the knuckle but it seems like the clearance is very small. Pics of similar setups or ideas?
  • Race subframe
  • Radiator guard
  • Engine covers
And a bit more stuff.
What i want to know is whether there is something else that is good to have for racing.
Are GB racing bullet sliders a good idea? Any chance of them catching and flipping the bike?
Is it worth getting an aftermarket fairing stay and intake?
Alternatives for switch blocks as i want to mount my thumb brake from my Gen 1?
Underslung caliper?

Open to suggestions as long as they don't break the bank.
Cheers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If racing is your goal, I would suggest finding out who your local race organization is and get a copy of the rulebook. Some modifications are required, and some are not allowed, or will limit your eligibility of classes. I would also suggest going to some of your local races and talking to the racers. See what they are using for tires, brake set-ups and suspension.

For me:
I run Michelin slicks now, used to run Dunlops and Pirellis. They are all good.
I like Vesrah SRJL-XX brake pads. I run braided lines with a Brembo 19x18 master. Some people like the EBC pads better.
I have the attack rear suspension link with an Ohlins TTX shock, and the front forks are re-valved with the Race Tech kit.
I start with 16/42 gearing and adjust from there depending on the track.
My engine is basically stock with a BMC air filter and Hindle slip-on, and I have the Kit ECU / Harness mapped for pump and MR12 race fuel.
I use woodcraft for clip-ons, rear sets, lever guards, case guards, and sliders.
I have a Shorai lithium battery, race body work, AIM Solo, etc.

I carry spare foot and hand control parts. With the woodcraft stuff, it seems to crash well when low sided. I don't know anyone who uses a thumb brake. Learn to set up and use your slipper clutch / engine braking settings.

Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If racing is your goal, I would suggest finding out who your local race organization is and get a copy of the rulebook. Some modifications are required, and some are not allowed, or will limit your eligibility of classes. I would also suggest going to some of your local races and talking to the racers. See what they are using for tires, brake set-ups and suspension.

For me:
I run Michelin slicks now, used to run Dunlops and Pirellis. They are all good.
I like Vesrah SRJL-XX brake pads. I run braided lines with a Brembo 19x18 master. Some people like the EBC pads better.
I have the attack rear suspension link with an Ohlins TTX shock, and the front forks are re-valved with the Race Tech kit.
I start with 16/42 gearing and adjust from there depending on the track.
My engine is basically stock with a BMC air filter and Hindle slip-on, and I have the Kit ECU / Harness mapped for pump and MR12 race fuel.
I use woodcraft for clip-ons, rear sets, lever guards, case guards, and sliders.
I have a Shorai lithium battery, race body work, AIM Solo, etc.

I carry spare foot and hand control parts. With the woodcraft stuff, it seems to crash well when low sided. I don't know anyone who uses a thumb brake. Learn to set up and use your slipper clutch / engine braking settings.

Good luck.
I am aware of most of this and my mechanic will sort out any little issue there is with the bike. I had a Gen 1 that i just crashed and i never raced but i do have some spares that i carry for the crappy times.
The thumb brake is something i used on the Gen 1 in some corners when exiting, especially when in second gear over a crest. I do not use a foot rear brake at all so that is one less thing to change if i go down. I am mostly trying to gather some info on what is goodt to have since my fairing stay has been repaired and i wish i could access an aftermarket one. Here in Aus it gets silly when importing parts from anywhere else.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't see brake lines on your list. Those are a must. What about a steering damper? After that, Shock replacement and fork work. Most of your speed will come from suspension and brakes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't see brake lines on your list. Those are a must. What about a steering damper? After that, Shock replacement and fork work. Most of your speed will come from suspension and brakes.
Yes guys, it's all there, braided lines and damper. Bike is pretty good already. I am really looking for mods that are not a must but will make my life easier. Bike has already been sorted by the guy that had it before me. Obviously i am looking at giving it the final touches before it is fully race ready and rider friendly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure if your bike has captive wheel spacers already. That makes wheel installation a lot easier. Of course that doesn't affect how the bike feels/handles but it saves time and %%#@#% :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if your bike has captive wheel spacers already. That makes wheel installation a lot easier. Of course that doesn't affect how the bike feels/handles but it saves time and %%#@#% :D
It does, it came already with a set of superbike (tapered) captive spacers.
Definitely a must for the track, i'd say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts