Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Я - Ребен&#108
2016 ZX10R Race & 2016 ZX10R Street
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this the right place to post it, but:

Feed back, is what im looking for (again) :))

from folks who are new to the track and took there zx-10R to the track for the first time!

and what group or team did you sign up with ie.
nesba a/b/i ?
or
team promotions
blue/white/red ?

im planmomg on hitting the trac to see if i like it
and if i like it on a liter bike vs 600/750

im pretty damm good in the streets but im looking to take it to the next level and learn the ways of the force (track).

i just need to get a set of leathers made, oh and decide on a pipe :lol:

ps: even if your a track regular, whats you experience or advice for a new track squide lol lol

i will more than likly start at Summit point in WVa,

nesba or Tp first?
what do you think?
ive heard stories of how both are very different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nesba will be more crowded, Sportbiketracktime is more friendly and not as crowded. I did my first trackday ever on my new 10R and it was bone stock minus a steering dampner. I ran Road Atlanta and I am a pretty experienced street/mountain curvy rider. Had a blast. Took names on the straights! Turned the some of the fastest times in my group and I entered on the I class. Great bike but respect it!!!!!!

Be careful with the throttle, bout highsided 2wice from grabbing too much gas.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
supraman95mb said:
Nesba will be more crowded, Sportbiketracktime is more friendly and not as crowded. I did my first trackday ever on my new 10R and it was bone stock minus a steering dampner. I ran Road Atlanta and I am a pretty experienced street/mountain curvy rider. Had a blast. Took names on the straights! Turned the some of the fastest times in my group and I entered on the I class. Great bike but respect it!!!!!!

3 of my boys rode with you down there 2 was in the I group and one in A
they told about the only black zx10R there and the R1 that spit oil out!

i wish i could have made it!

the one in A had the gixxer 750 (matter of fact they all have gixxers)
he had most wanted rider (green and black) with cannon 39 on back.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
supraman95mb said:
My only real advice, too. Not a track newbie, but did make that mistake once at California Speedway. Very painful -- highsides suck! Just be careful with the throttle coming out of the turns. Lots of HP down low on these bikes.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
10Rpilot, what were the circumstances of your road toss? Highside, lowside, enter a corner too hot, early in the session, late in the session? From the photo, it looks like the bike absorbed the damage pretty well. But, I am not sure that your experience is a great testimonial for D218 tires.

Vonstallin, my advice for newer track day riders is don't let your ego overload your talent. I think for the most part, a very good street rider will find that they have a lot to learn when starting out at the track. You may constantly find yourself being passed by riders on much smaller and slower bikes. Resist the urge to show them up with your horsepower. You may find yourself getting into turns over your head. As Kenny Roberts once said slow in fast out beats fast in slow out every time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks like a low side to me. I don't see any upper damage like I would expect to see in a high side.

When did that happen? Was is high speed or low, and did you get hurt?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Last turn at Putnam Raceway, going onto the straight. Was trying to pass a pro on the front straight so I wanted some good drive off the corner. I honestly can't remember anything except catching a downshift before entering the corner and then getting on the gas. Everyone that inspected the rear tire agreed that I just grabbed too much throttle. But yes, it sustained the crash very well I thought. Busted footpeg, busted brake pedal and the exhaust can saved the tail. Then all the other normal lowside damage one can expect. But I was happy that the frame didn't get gouged and just a scratch on the clutch cover. All my protective gear except boots are trashed though.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
10RPilot said:
Last turn at Putnam Raceway, going onto the straight. Was trying to pass a pro on the front straight so I wanted some good drive off the corner. I honestly can't remember anything except catching a downshift before entering the corner and then getting on the gas. Everyone that inspected the rear tire agreed that I just grabbed too much throttle. But yes, it sustained the crash very well I thought. Busted footpeg, busted brake pedal and the exhaust can saved the tail. Then all the other normal lowside damage one can expect. But I was happy that the frame didn't get gouged and just a scratch on the clutch cover. All my protective gear except boots are trashed though.
I guess it did its job then. Better than your A$$ bein trashed. :shock:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
wow lane. Nice times for Putnam. Love that track. but Ive crashed there 2 times. Got me on T10 and T2. Both run offs both stupid my fault.

Looks like the 10R faired decent. Im too chicken to put the 10 on the track ATM. Not paid for. But man do I want to. O well thats why I kept the 9.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Right now my '02 9R is my track bike. I've been planning on putting the 10R on the track next season but now I'm rethinking it.

Reasons to stay with the status quo: The 9 is already trackified: racetek fronts, jetted/dynotuned, K&N filter, sharkskinz, Diablo Corsas, Galfer SS lines/pads... etc. I also am getting my times down on the 9. I got bumped from B to I in NESBA. The 9 will be paid for in 2 months. The 10 in many years. Plus, the 10 has some sweet street poser value... :p Its a head turner.

Reasons to track the 10 and street the 9: FASTER LAPS FASTER LAPS really fast trackbike. I won't have to do much to track it: race glass, steering dampner, Diablo Corsas. Its not as comfy street riding as the 9. It would be easier for my little self to whip back and forth at the track. The 10 is made for the track.

What do you think?

Lane, so sorry to see you scratch up your baby like that. Putnam sure is a fun track, though. I hope your get-off was at the end of the day.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Vonstallin, I am going to be at Summit weekend of 9/24, going to get my license that weekend and hopefully do some racing.

Maybe we can meet up.

I will be on a 600 though, can't do the 10r for racing being a novice, but that is a good thing!

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that sounds like a date i can make! my friends (7 of them) most firstimers are making the july3 and 4th at summit point, but i need leathers, boots, and $200 buck by that time so i dont know. My boy that i brought our bikes at the same time (Punisher of the DC Most Wanted) stunt DVD is going up there on his pumpkin zx10R that day, but when i go im taking a 636 to the track, if i feel comfortable racing there (track is some sh**&^^%t then i will get the zx10R track ready.

so 9-24 might be my day to catch you up there.

kwakman said:
Vonstallin, I am going to be at Summit weekend of 9/24, going to get my license that weekend and hopefully do some racing.

Maybe we can meet up.

I will be on a 600 though, can't do the 10r for racing being a novice, but that is a good thing!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Other than taking it easy on the throttle, always go to the track with race rubber. No matter how slow you are or how new you are to track riding. If you ride on the track, ride with track rubber!

·
Registered
26 Posts
In addition to track rubber, lower the air pressure in your tires. I run 30 in the rear and 29 in the front. Give you tires a couple of laps to heat up. Be sure and take your mirrors off. If not, you will get distracted by other riders coming up behind you. I also like to tape my lights. I use blue painters tape on the headlights, then a piece of cardboard, then duct tape on top of it all. The cardboard will absorb any rocks that might hit your headlights. I also tape the rear or pull the fuse. Rear break lights are distracting at the track. Some of this stuff you will have to do to pass tech inspection. A couple of final thoughts, take plenty of gas. You might not need it but somebody will and don't forget the key to your bike!! Forgetting your key really sucks!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts