Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2017 ZX10 with Guhl flash on the ECU and a PCV had on dyno TPS was reading 97% at idle was wondering what the gray wire on the PCV that you tap on the purple wire #20 pin on ECU does if this wire is for TPS. Has anyone else ran into this ? Also the fuel table was flashed for 3/4 exhaust system PCV has a zero map in it ?

Bike did make pretty good power has Akrapovic exhaust BMC street filter block off plates made 186 HP and 80 ft lbs torque SAE numbers

Map was little rich was going to have the tuner adust it that's when noticed the TPS reading 97% at idle

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
The PCV will add fuel to whatever map is on the ECU. This is why running a PCV with a flash is completely pointless... only 1 is going to have a final say.

The reason the PCV has a 0-map is because the Guhl map is already ideal for the system. The only purpose to having the PCV in there really is to do additional tuning on top of the Guhl ECU map you don't have access to.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If your TPS isn't reading 100% you probably need to let your bike throttle-sync itself or adjust it manually in the PCV settings which may require a dyno. To let the bike sync itself you need to start the bike and let the engine heat up to 150 or so, let it idle, don't touch the throttle. Shut the bike off after it heats up. Wait 30 seconds. Start it back up and you're good to go. This was the method I was taught (I'm not sure how exact the process is but it worked for me). YouTube will show you how to do it via the PCV... can't remember off the top of my head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike has hunting idle which is due to it being so rich on bottom end so therefore you can adjust map to take that away. Just like the guy mentioned ECU has the first say in the fuel map so you start with a zero map and tune from there.

·
Registered
683 Posts
So does anyone know what they gray wire from the PCV pinned to purple wire #20 on ECU does ?
I don't have the 2016+ directions in front of me but based on the 2011-15 PCV directions you splice a PCV wire with the Gear Position Sensor wire. Since the Gen5's come stock with a QS I imagine this sensor is now replaced and built directly into the ECU (since QS engine cutting comes from there). That's my hypothesis... Gear Position Sensor.

...worst case scenario you can email Kawi and ask them what Pin-XX is. They generally respond before close of business.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They now have a separate plug that piggybacks to the gear position sensor. I was guessing since the fifth gen is fly by wire that the gray wire is used to read the TPS.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ah, true. I'll take a look at my directions for the 16+ once I'm home and edit this comment if I have any news for ya!

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
ah. No map. Your info about the g5 strikes me as same as g4, except you're heavy. I suspect, now, that g5 engine same as g4; just a wild guess; and extra weight came from the whatever on forks, etc.

If I'm right, good news is that g5 is great; bad news you must buy extended warranty if you ride all the time.

The idle loop is normal for 10-4 and that means the 'upgrade' flash is perhaps less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update I had Emailed Dyno Jet and they gave me a quick response and this info just took me a little while to update the post. The gray wire going to the purple is the TPS signal wire. This bike uses a “throttle-by-wire” system. So conventional tuning can not be performed for all RPM and throttle ranges.The PCV is attached to the throttle blade angle sensor of the throttle bodies which is NOT directly correlated to the throttle grip position. Because of this when setting the throttle position in the PCV software, we recommend on resetting only the closed throttle position after the bike has completely warmed up. Use the arrow key (<) next to MINIMUM VOLTAGE to perform this step and then click OK. Do not try to set the MAXIMUM VOLTAGE position unless you are on a dyno in gear and above 9000 RPM.

Preset values for TPS in PCV are:
Min=.498
Max=4.340

First we want to verify you have the correct part number(TP calibrations can be different between units) . You should have part number 17-067. It should go 0-100 not 0-96. Sounds like the TPS is just not calibrated correctly. I have attached a few links that will help you calibrate the TPS in the PCV.

To Calibrate the Throttle Position in PCV Software
Setting throttle position

You can find these links on there site hope this helps someone in the future. Going to put back on dyno sometime next month I'll update when I do.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Update I had Emailed Dyno Jet and they gave me a quick response and this info just took me a little while to update the post. The gray wire going to the purple is the TPS signal wire. This bike uses a “throttle-by-wire” system. So conventional tuning can not be performed for all RPM and throttle ranges.The PCV is attached to the throttle blade angle sensor of the throttle bodies which is NOT directly correlated to the throttle grip position. Because of this when setting the throttle position in the PCV software, we recommend on resetting only the closed throttle position after the bike has completely warmed up. Use the arrow key (<) next to MINIMUM VOLTAGE to perform this step and then click OK. Do not try to set the MAXIMUM VOLTAGE position unless you are on a dyno in gear and above 9000 RPM.

Preset values for TPS in PCV are:
Min=.498
Max=4.340

First we want to verify you have the correct part number(TP calibrations can be different between units) . You should have part number 17-067. It should go 0-100 not 0-96. Sounds like the TPS is just not calibrated correctly. I have attached a few links that will help you calibrate the TPS in the PCV.

To Calibrate the Throttle Position in PCV Software
Setting throttle position

You can find these links on there site hope this helps someone in the future. Going to put back on dyno sometime next month I'll update when I do.
Try doing the throttle sync thing I said. If it works then you saved a trip to the dyno. If it doesn't then I guess that's just what's necessary :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts