Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thursday was a typical hot Tennessee summer day, and I decided (as I usually do) to take the country back roads home after work. There are some pretty decent twisties around the Sumner/Robertson county area, some of which I ride weekly. I happened to be on one of my favorite roads, which has several sharp turns, and abrupt switch backs. And then it happened...

I was set up for a pretty sharp left hander, prolly doing only 30-35 MPH. The bike was leaned pretty decent, and I was just getting ready to hit the apex when out of the side of my right eye I saw a white flash approach the front of the bike. Suddenly I felt (and heard) a lound THUMP, which immediately sent my bike out of the turn. I jumped a drive way, landed the bike, and tried desperately to save it in a very rough field/yard. I wound up wadding the bike up in a flurry of dust, grass, and kawi plastics. I was wearing all of my gear, so I only suffered some bruises and soreness from the incident. The $^$^%$^%$, sawed off, white @$$ed, yappy dog was scratched up pretty good and limping, but he fared much better than the bike. I guess I should be thankful that I'm still here to tell this story, but after 15,000 miles (in 8 months of ownership), I was crushed to see the bike in such a rashed/bashed mess. The insurance company came out the next morning and totaled it.

Moral of the story. No matter how hot/uncomfortable the weather, and no matter how much you think you look like a power ranger, wear your gear.

D

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
That sucks. Atleast your not hurt, you can always get another bike(10r).

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
that does suck, and there are alot of people around me that have dogs... if i hit them oh well.... they should be chained up.... matter of fact i had one chase me last week, the damn thing ran for like a mile then gave up

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. The frame was jacked, so I let it go without wanting to buy back for salvage. After putting 15k on the 6R, I'm really undecided about my next bike. The 6R was hella fun on the street, and in the twisties, but I was starting to want more power down low. I was just getting ready to mod the bike with a full Akra exhaust, PC3, Ignition module, and Ivan's map..... Oh well.. So I've got some thinking to do. Stay 600 class, try a 750, or move up to a liter bike....

D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Man I'm glad you're alright! Sorry about you bike, too! My wife's been on me to buy some leathers for my lower half. Need to get around to that. That's not a bad idea about finding out whose dog that is and getting their homeowners insurance to pay. Don't know if it will work, but hey, could be worth it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I'll get flamed for this, but check out the 2006 GSXR 750 instead of jumping right up to the 10R. If I'd done that in 2004 I wouldn't have destroyed my 10R. The 750 has all the handling of the 600's with a bigger punch that won't make you want a literbike, esp. if you ride street. Anyway, new bike hunts are always fun, so good luck!

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I just came back from a four ride and i read this. There were two cars in front me in this small canyon road. doing about 55. Out of the blue. the car in front swear to the right. A dog laying on its side spinning in circles coming right at me. thank god for the 10 being nimble. I miss the dog. took a quick and dog was still spinning. look foreward to make sure the cars didn't stop. You will never know what will happen out there. I always wear my leathers. kiss the pavement once and you will always have your leathers on after that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Glad to hear you avoided that one, racermike. And props to both of you guys for wearing the leathers. I mostly do street riding in a straight line so I never go with the leather pants (everything else is uber gear though). But just reading some of these stories makes me think I should consider the pants First Gear makes for my jacket.

On upgrading the bike BigDally, I would get the liter class bike. You'll be happier with the torque on it than you are on the 600. Granted, nothing can be flicked like a 600 in corners, but then nothing thrills like a liter class. Easy choice, imo.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Excellent advise. I'm glad to hear that you came out of it alright. Too bad about the bike, but at least you are around to be able to have another bike.

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
754 Posts
sonnyboy11 said:
Glad to hear you avoided that one, racermike. And props to both of you guys for wearing the leathers. I mostly do street riding in a straight line so I never go with the leather pants (everything else is uber gear though). But just reading some of these stories makes me think I should consider the pants First Gear makes for my jacket.

On upgrading the bike BigDally, I would get the liter class bike. You'll be happier with the torque on it than you are on the 600. Granted, nothing can be flicked like a 600 in corners, but then nothing thrills like a liter class. Easy choice, imo.
Agreed, but there is nothing like trying to hit the 15,500 redline on the zx6r and listening to that engine screeeeeeeaaaaaam! Sweet music.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
754 Posts
zx10Duran said:
good post on your gear....go with the liter bike :helmet:
:+1: The throttle works in both directions....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts