Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a new set of tires mounted and balanced sometime last week, get home put the front on with no problems torquing the axle to 81 ft/lb. Wheel spins freely with zero resistance. Move around to the rear, mount the chain, insert rear axle, roughly adjust chain slack. Go to torque the the axle nut down to 81 ft/lb and the rear wheel is entirely too stiff (wont easily spin forward by hand) to ride. On top of all of that the holes for the cotter pin on the axle are in front of the castle nut so it wouldn't really keep the nut from rotating from vibration.

So I'm under the impression that my swing arm is pinched to some degree? or I'm not doing something correct.. I followed the owners manual to a tee with both front and rear wheels. I did not forget the 2 collars for each wheel. Either could someone give an opinion on it, or measure the width of their gen 1 swing arm from the inside (at end of swing arm). Thanks in advance for anyone with some insight!

Just quick insight, i purchased the bike from a gentlemen in his mid 50s about 2 years ago with decent tire tread left on them. A well taken care of bike with just under 10k on the odo at the time. A small box of receipts for aftermarket parts and maintenance. I live in Oregon so there's maybe 3-4 months a year of enjoyable riding weather (why it took 2 years to change the tires).

FWIW picture is his he took for ad. Don't have any other pictures of it on my PC at the time but will upload more soon for whomever appreciates a clean gen 1.

Attachments

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
hello and welcome

When you say 'On top of all of that the holes for the cotter pin on the axle are in front of the castle nut so it wouldn't really keep the nut from rotating from vibration.'
  • Does this mean the castle nut is screwed in more than it needs to be, and now the cotter pin no longer goes between the grooves of the castle nut?
  • If so, means something is missing.

Check the sprocket hub and make sure the inner bearing sleeve is not missing (part code 42036 below). The other two collars (part code 92152A and 92152B) are easily seen from the outside, but not this one.

Parts diagram here:

Wheel Vehicle Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Product Font Auto part Circle Parallel

·
Registered
Gen3
347 Posts
Adding on, you might have damaged some bearings if above is true.
Please please check the bearings for free-play and replace any.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adding on, you might have damaged some bearings if above is true.
Please please check the bearings for free-play and replace any.
Thanks for the welcome! I'm not totally sure how to properly reply to messages on here, but bare with me. That's exactly what i mean about the holes for the pin being to far past the teeth on the nut. I'll go tear the rear off again and take a look, see if 42036 is the missing link. I can confirm that part 92152b and 92152 are there from when i reinstalled today. Will reply with what i find, or dont..

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
238 Posts
Looks like aftermarket bodywork

Weird problem. I just installed a new sprocket on my bike and torqued to spec (plus a little more) after adding marine grease to rear axle and spins very easily

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Are you sure the wheel spacers are the correct way around? If you have left & right wrong the wrong way around then you have probably crushed one of your bearings! And potentially damaged your swing arm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are you sure the wheel spacers are the correct way around? If you have left & right wrong the wrong way around then you have probably crushed one of your bearings! And potentially damaged your swing arm.
Yes, %100 they are. Caliper side is smaller in diameter than sprocket side. As far as the sleeve goes (P#42036) it looks like on the diagram that it is behind the sprocket in between the two sets of bearings. If that's the case, I'm thinking the shop i took it to might have lost it after balancing on a machine? would they need to remove the sprocket for balancing? Sorry if that doesnt make sense, its 4am and ive been up a while trying to find the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks like aftermarket bodywork

Weird problem. I just installed a new sprocket on my bike and torqued to spec (plus a little more) after adding marine grease to rear axle and spins very easily
Correct, the guy that had it before me was really into MOTOGP. I'm pretty sure he was going for the 2008 ZXRR look from back in the day

When you took your sprocket hub off the wheel, was there anything inside that resembled part 42036?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Yes the shop will have for sure removed the sprocket carrier to chang the tyre, so yes I would check to see the small spacer that's behind the carrier bearing and onto the wheel bearing is there, the actual axle sleeve they wouldn't have to remove but possibly they removed it, you should be able to see that easily without removing the wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the shop will have for sure removed the sprocket carrier to chang the tyre, so yes I would check to see the small spacer that's behind the carrier bearing and onto the wheel bearing is there, the actual axle sleeve they wouldn't have to remove but possibly they removed it, you should be able to see that easily without removing the wheel.

Okay, under that assumption i believe that the shop must have taken it off and not replaced it. I only took the wheel off the swing arm and nothing further prior to dropping it off at the shop. I also can see the longer axle sleeve in between the 2 bearings. Ill call them tomorrow and see if they have anything to say, otherwise ill place an order online for the part. Either way ill let you know how it goes. Thanks much for your guys help!

·
Registered
2005 ZX-10R
238 Posts
This is why I always remove the wheel(s) myself when I need a chain/sprocket/tire change, I don't trust these fast food shops to rush through another job and f something up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was going to wait to update the post till i got the part, but I'm confident the issue was the sleeve/spacer. So i ordered a new one from partfish because the shop didn't have a clue what i was talking about when i asked about it... So thanks to everyone for the help, I really appreciate everyone's time and efforts! This forum is probably the best tool you 10R owner can have.

·
Registered
2011 ZX10R
27 Posts
......and shops wonder why people have trust issues. Hopefully that will get you fixed up!

Reactions: 2TonGen1

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you're going to all this trouble, maybe consider getting captive rear spacers. I hated wrestling with my rear wheel and the sheer frustration of having the OEM spacers fall out repeatedly. The captive spacers were a God send.

Reactions: 2TonGen1

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you're going to all this trouble, maybe consider getting captive rear spacers. I hated wrestling with my rear wheel and the sheer frustration of having the OEM spacers fall out repeatedly. The captive spacers were a God send.
We can't get anything for the inside spacer, under the sprocket carrier, can we? That one that halfway stays in place, but falls out when you are not looking

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We can't get anything for the inside spacer, under the sprocket carrier, can we? That one that halfway stays in place, but falls out when you are not looking
I've never come across an aftermarket one that replaces the inside spacer.

·
Registered
2004 ZX10R (Sold) 2017 MV Agusta F3 (Sold) 2013 HP4 Competition, 2021 S1000 RR M Sport
318 Posts
️ 1 on Captive spacers.. I'm pretty sure I have a set in the garage..I'm in the UK tho.

Stu

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts