Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys and some gals out there have ever seen cracks on a bikes upper fairing where the windscreen bolts up?Or just cracks in a body panel?these are obviously happening due to over tightenig the bolt or screw.This past year racing in florida being in the pits watching some people install their wheels after getting new tires installed,I would just cringe aqt how they would tighten the axels up. Premature wheelbearing ware or failure could occur.Everything on oure bikes has a certain torque spec.These specs were figured out by enginiers and designers.I know that there are a ton of members on this site that torqe every piece of thier bike together as I do.Dont think of it as being anal,think of it as being safe.knowing every thing is just right.Torque specs are in the manual for every piece of youre bike.If you dont have a manual Im sure someone on this site will give you a hand.You can even do a search on the site to download one.Remember torque it dont dork it.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
:+1: Amen to that.

The shop that last did my tires didn't use a torque wrench, and the damn kid that put the back wheel on put most of his weight into it with a 16" breaker bar, and he's over 200 pounds. Pissed me off, they won't get my business again, unless they're mounting the tires and that's it.:headshake

·
Registered
188 Posts
People just don't get it though, near enough is good enough for some people.................then they wonder why it's broken!!!

That goes for the trainee mechanic you take your bike to for service!:eyecrazy::headshake:headshake

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I agree there are parts that you should torque to specs but there are also things that putting a torque wrench on are totally unnecessary.

You mentioned fairings. If someone needs a torque wrench to tighten a fairing bolt correctly they shouldn't be using tools. And I know there are people who cringe at the thought but I have NEVER, EVER used a torque wrench to tighten the oil drain bolt or oil filter on any of my bikes or 4-wheeled vehicles.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a inch pound torque wrench om my fairings. I also torque the drian plug.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I agree there are parts that you should torque to specs but there are also things that putting a torque wrench on are totally unnecessary.

You mentioned fairings. If someone needs a torque wrench to tighten a fairing bolt correctly they shouldn't be using tools. And I know there are people who cringe at the thought but I have NEVER, EVER used a torque wrench to tighten the oil drain bolt or oil filter on any of my bikes or 4-wheeled vehicles.
:iamwithst

A little common sense goes a long way. I torque the stuff that matters.

Fairing bolts aren't critical parts and don't require a lot of torque to stay in place.

I've changed enough oil in enough vehicles to just know how tight an oil drain plug should be.

Engine mounts, axle bolts and things of that nature get my torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I actually just went out and bought a new one because my old one didn't go high enough. I'm with jtemple, the things that matter to the operation of the bike or my safety get the torqued to spec. Also I stumbled across this website

http://rides.webshots.com/album/516313754BTbBSN

This guy shows how to make a cheap tool to test your wrench's calibration.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
listen guys ,all Im saying is its important to torque certian thiings on the bike,especially if you ride the hell out of the thing.I go through sometimes two sets of tires a race weekend.I replace brake pads every 2 to 3 races.change the oil after every trackday or race weekend.So wheels, calipers,steering stemnut.plastics are removed alot more to inspect and change things more than the average street rider.periodic maintnence is alot less for the street but let me ask you? when was the last time the average street rider with high milage checked the torque on thier subframe or the lower tripple clamps.or the engine mountbolts, these especially if you have frame sliders. I know some out there do. But probably most dont.If you do youre own maintnence torque it dont dork it.

·
Banned
307 Posts
I really need a dial tq. Wrench by snap on...doing a clutch on the old gpz- zx 600 i got it just right and telling mE one more round i broke a bolt off in the basket ,easy outed it and all turned out great... Got to get my hands on one soon just for that ....

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Funny thing is when I was putting my rear wheel back on after the first tire change I didn't have a torque wrench handy, so I set it where I thought it should be, then put in the cotter pin. Within a week I believe I went to torque it and it barely turned before it clicked, I ended up turning it back so the cotter pin could slide in, pretty much wasted my time there. I also put my oil filters on by hand tightening them, on all vehicles, drain plugs are a no brainer to me. Too bad taking that oil filter off wasn't the same story, maybe these PureOne's will be different.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used to torque wrench a lot of stuff, but now after doing that so much, I have a feeling of where the bolt is supposed to be. Close enough is good enough for me, as long as its not overtightened too much its alright,

·
Registered
700 Posts
:+2:
I do not torque my axle nut i just do it by feel. I used to torque them but ive been a motorcycle mechanic for 10+ years and just have the touch i guess, i have checked them before and im normaly right on the mark( not trying to brag and you should use a torque wrench unless you have done it 100's of times)

Now on anything motor related EVERYTING gets the torque wrench even the drain plug.

But on foot pegs, pinch bolts ect just good and snug and a touch more is all that is needed JUST DONT OVER DO IT. If you are ham fisted that get that wrench out.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
:+1:

:iamwithst

a little common sense goes a long way. I torque the stuff that matters.

Fairing bolts aren't critical parts and don't require a lot of torque to stay in place.

I've changed enough oil in enough vehicles to just know how tight an oil drain plug should be.

Engine mounts, axle bolts and things of that nature get my torque wrench.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts