Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do the 600 mi. service on my 2005 ZX-10R. Looking at the service manual under "Bolt and Nut Tightening" it says to torque the "Cylinder Head Bolts". This is a fairly big job because it requires removal of a lot of parts to get to these bolts (upper fairing, fuel tank, air cleaner housing, throttle body assembly, and then cylinder head cover)

Although I'm planning to do the work myself, I called the dealer where I bought the bike to get advice on the cylinder head bolts. He seemed to be surprised and said "we don't normally do that but if it's called for we'll do it." Didn't seem to know how much it would cost.

Question: Is tighening the cylinder head bolts really necessary at the 600 mi. service ?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I would double check them....As well as checking valve clearance....I did not do mine at 600 miles....My 05 now sits at 3700 miles and it is one of the numberous things on my list for winter....

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I have never heard of anyone having this done at the 600 mile service. I have the factory service manual and I can't find anywhere this is mentioned.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
mediasw said:
I'm about to do the 600 mi. service on my 2005 ZX-10R. Looking at the service manual under "Bolt and Nut Tightening" it says to torque the "Cylinder Head Bolts". This is a fairly big job because it requires removal of a lot of parts to get to these bolts (upper fairing, fuel tank, air cleaner housing, throttle body assembly, and then cylinder head cover)

Although I'm planning to do the work myself, I called the dealer where I bought the bike to get advice on the cylinder head bolts. He seemed to be surprised and said "we don't normally do that but if it's called for we'll do it." Didn't seem to know how much it would cost.

Question: Is tighening the cylinder head bolts really necessary at the 600 mi. service ?
NO!! do not touch the head bolts. The only proper way to retighten the head bolts is to back them all the way out then tighten to proper specs. (by this time you should put a new head gasket in too) I have buddys that work at the dealer. The only thing they basicly do on a 600mi service on a fuel injected bike is change the oil & filter, and adjust the play in the throttle and check brake caliper bolts, just little things like this.

It use to be on older carb bikes, They would adjust and sync. the carbs and all that stuff ( if you ever tryed to sync. four carbs you know its a BITCH!! so better off letting the dealer do it any how).

Anyways I would'nt worry about the head bolts let them be. just don't go putting kragen car oil in your bike :crackup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's in the service manual on page 2-42 under "Bolts, Nuts, and Fasterner Tightness Inspection" which says to tighten everything on page 2-43. On 2-43 under the heading Engine it says "Cyclinder Head Bolts".

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
ZXTOM said:
just don't go putting kragen car oil in your bike :crackup:
sumbitch thats exactly what i use. :spit:

BD

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I don't know about the cylinder head bolts but you oughta check the nuts securing the header pipe to the head. They have a bad habit of comin' loose.

·
Registered
928 Posts
u know how many errors are in service manuals, at honda we fix them on a daily basis.

i dont doubt they want u to retorque headbolts at 600 miles. but i know i wouldnt even if it were true.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
14k on my bike, never touched the header bolts or the cylinder head bolts to my knowledge, and i can guarentee when i went in for that so called 600mi service, those fuggers didn't even touch the cylinder, let alone retorque anything. But, if you got time on your hands, take pics and post it in the how to!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
When it comes to the service intervals, I let the dealership do all of them. It's not a matter of whether I can do the work myself or not (I'm an aircraft mechanic). It has to do with liability. If the dealership does all of the services and something goes wrong (god forbid) they'll be liable for the damage. The way I look at it, it's a cheap insurance policy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks everybody for all the input. It's clear the dealers don't do the cylinder head bolts for the 600 mi. service and probably never do them as routine service. So, I've decided to put it off until when I do the valves which I'll probably check well before the required 7500 mi. service.

The ZX-10 and ZX-10.net rock !

·
Registered
235 Posts
Be sure to check the bolt that holds the chain guide on! Mine came off and ended up wrapped around my sprocket and output shaft. it wasn't a pretty sight and potentially very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
lochendorb said:
When it comes to the service intervals, I let the dealership do all of them. It's not a matter of whether I can do the work myself or not (I'm an aircraft mechanic). It has to do with liability. If the dealership does all of the services and something goes wrong (god forbid) they'll be liable for the damage. The way I look at it, it's a cheap insurance policy.
:+1: I'll install cosmetic things or minor performance upgrades myself, but when it comes to my engine I let the dealership or better yet, my local shop (Mach 1) do the work. That way I get to point the finger :lol:

BTW: I too have never heard of anyone doing this job at the first service either

1 - 14 of 14 Posts