Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Top speed?

3K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  THE ICE MAN 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody might know what my top speed would be with 16/39 gearing, and 220 whp. I'm trying to setup a race with a big block, turbo, nitrous mustang from a 50 mph roll. Remember, I have nitrous, lowered & strapped. Maybe 1/2 gallon of fuel, no mirrors, db windscreen, me at 225 suited.

#2 ·
1killer1liter said:
I was wondering if anybody might know what my top speed would be with 16/39 gearing, and 220 whp. I'm trying to setup a race with a big block, turbo, nitrous mustang from a 50 mph roll. Remember, I have nitrous, lowered & strapped. Maybe 1/2 gallon of fuel, no mirrors, db windscreen, me at 225 suited.
If I had to guess...I'd say about 180. I think I've seen about 170-175 with mine...but still had plenty to go.

#3 ·
178 if you start with a top speed of 190 in stock gearing (which I've seen them do with the right mods)
Do NOT race him from a standing start.. the car will launch like a motha.. you'll kill him on the top end

#4 ·
Right around 180mph or so, the HP to aero ratio goes crazy.
It takes exponentially more HP to make even modest speed gains.
I remember when one of the magazines was trying to break the 200mph barrier with a ZX11 (back in the day). The aero modified bike hit 200 with much less HP than the all motor bike.

#7 ·
Based on my experience with that same setup (16/39) @ our elevation its gonna be what ^^the guys said, about 175-180. The question now becomes what gear to hit @ 50mph?? most likely 1st while layin over the headlights and hit the juice once into 3rd-6th.

BD

#9 ·
Big Daddy said:
Based on my experience with that same setup (16/39) @ our elevation its gonna be what ^^the guys said, about 175-180. The question now becomes what gear to hit @ 50mph?? most likely 1st while layin over the headlights and hit the juice once into 3rd-6th.

BD
:+1: But, I know I have 15/39 gearing but if I start in 1st at 50mph shes gonna wheelie. I like to run in 2nd at 60mph usually don't have to worry about wheelies. With all the stuff the guy has done to the 'Stang,is he gonna spin at 50mph? :dontknow: You probably want even have to spray. :helmet:

#11 ·
The mustink doesn't hook well. Thats why we are going from a 50 mph roll. I was thinking of starting in 2nd, but I have ridden with the 16/41 setup for so long I don't remember what the 39t feels like in 1st gear.
Canyoncarver, thats exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't like to race cars that can't stay in their own lane. I'll give him the hit so I stay clear of swaggering back end and then lay into the unit 3rd-6th.
I don't think I will have a problem keeping the nose down due to the lowered & strapped front and lowered rear. Another thing to remember guys, I'm at 4500' elevation. The bike doesn't wheelie real easy up here anyway.

#12 ·
miykl said:
Why not taller gears and spray sooner (2nd gear)?
This is the same setup the bike got squirrelly on the dyno in 3rd at 7500 rpm. I would be afraid to hit any sooner. I don't want to make drastic changes to the bike. I figure less mass is a faster wind up. 16/39 will be a good compromise. Still some low end from the 16t and some top speed from the 39t and they're both pretty small.

#13 ·
1killer1liter said:
The mustink doesn't hook well. Thats why we are going from a 50 mph roll. I was thinking of starting in 2nd, but I have ridden with the 16/41 setup for so long I don't remember what the 39t feels like in 1st gear.
Canyoncarver, thats exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't like to race cars that can't stay in their own lane. I'll give him the hit so I stay clear of swaggering back end and then lay into the unit 3rd-6th.
I don't think I will have a problem keeping the nose down due to the lowered & strapped front and lowered rear. Another thing to remember guys, I'm at 4500' elevation. The bike doesn't wheelie real easy up here anyway.
Damn, with a big block, turbo, and NOS he should spin at 50mph too. I wouldn't strap it since your running from a roll. :dontknow: Just my .02 Good luck though :thumbsup: :helmet:

#15 ·
17/39 = 186mph 16/39=175 mph
I would not go any less gearing than a 16/39 with nitrous as a matter of fact even without nos you are already rolling.
If you start at 50 mph STAY IN 1ST GEAR and stay away from his lane
16/39 should give you up to 80 mph before you have to hit 2nd gear,
if you start in 2nd at 50 mph you will take longer to get going.
good luck.

#17 ·
1killer1liter said:
Maybe 1/2 gallon of fuel, no mirrors, db windscreen, me at 225 suited.
keep in mind that for the actual top speed, weight has nothing to do with it. the accelleration up to the top speed.. sure. however he'll run out of gear before you do.

#18 ·
#20 ·
Ruthless Racing said:
He said he has 220 h.p. thats the main reason, dont wnt to wheelie
or flip, also if he is straped say 1.5 " lower he will become a lower
and smaller object and have to push less air out of his way and he can go a bit faster !
1.5"x 23" wide= 34.5 square inche's
Personally I hope he is not using a 60 h.p. (dry shot) spraying 3-6th gear!
BAD NEW'S ! Too much spray.
I would not even use a 60 h.p. for the 1/4 mile 2-4th gear.
If spraying a 40 shot I hope he knows what he is doing as far as setting up for that.

#21 ·
THE ICE MAN said:
He said he has 220 h.p. thats the main reason, dont wnt to wheelie
or flip, also if he is straped say 1.5 " lower he will become a lower
and smaller object and have to push less air out of his way and he can go a bit faster !
1.5"x 23" wide= 34.5 square inche's
Personally I hope he is not using a 60 h.p. (dry shot) spraying 3-6th gear!
BAD NEW'S ! Too much spray.
I would not even use a 60 h.p. for the 1/4 mile 2-4th gear.
If spraying a 40 shot I hope he knows what he is doing as far as setting up for that.
Well, more of a reason to start in 2nd. Being they are running from a roll there is no need for the strap, I would rather have some suspension working while street racing!!!!
:fu2: + :fu2: = :thefinger :rolleyes: :eek:ccasion1

#22 · (Edited)
1killer1liter said:
Top speed will depend strictly on gearing and your rear tire. I just measured my D218 (yes, lame, I know but I've only got 2k easy street miles on it so far) at 78" circumference, so do a little math (or in my case a little spreadsheet-ing) from there and you get 173.05 mph @ 12k rpm using 16/39 geariing.

Oh yeah - you'll be at about 7k (6750) rpm at 50 mph in 1st with that gearing.

#23 ·
Ruthless Racing said:
Well, more of a reason to start in 2nd. Being they are running from a roll there is no need for the strap, I would rather have some suspension working while street racing!!!!
:fu2: + :fu2: = :thefinger :rolleyes: :eek:ccasion1
Judging on your response I am going to guess your what 17-18 year's old??
Dont get mad at me because you have no clue.
And have no clue what 220 h.p. is like !
If someone has a strap on the bike and pull's his strap down and start's in 1st gear at 50mph he's in his more of his good tourqe, and the other starts in 2nd gear, who do you think is going to get to 100 mph faster??? It's not a trick question, but being that i am talking to you,I want you to think real hard before you answer.
Incase you cant figure it out it's the guy in 1st gear, he will pull instantly a couple bikes as soon as they hit the gas.
So if he has a strap why not take advantage of it ???
Suspesion ?? are they running down a dirt road with railroad track's??
He said he was going to go high speed's so I am sure they have a nice road in mind, And at 1.5" stills leaves suspension.

#24 ·
lavudyar said:
Top speed will depend strictly on gearing and your rear tire. I just measured my D218 (yes, lame, I know but I've only got 2k easy street miles on it so far) at 78" circumference, so do a little math (or in my case a little spreadsheet-ing) from there and you get 173.05 mph @ 12k rpm using 16/39 geariing.

Oh yeah - you'll be at about 7k (6750) rpm at 50 mph in 1st with that gearing.
I agree with your #'s at 6750 rpm = 50 mph in 1st gear
All the spreed sheet's do not take tire slippage and clutch slippage into consideration.
I have been doing top speed racing and street racing for over 10.5 years,
and can tell you they never match up.
I have found that they are off by 5 mph on there top 6th gear calculation's
just to let you know. :thumbsup:

#25 ·
THE ICE MAN said:
I agree with your #'s at 6750 rpm = 50 mph in 1st gear
All the spreed sheet's do not take tire slippage and clutch slippage into consideration.
I have been doing top speed racing and street racing for over 10.5 years,
and can tell you they never match up.
I have found that they are off by 5 mph on there top 6th gear calculation's
just to let you know. :thumbsup:
Is that 5mph static or a percentage?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.