Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come to redo the top end of the 10.
10500 miles and she will get the thin head gasket and Kawi intake cam. Gonna send the head to Carpenter or NPS for a valve job and maybe porting. The cams were at 106 intake and 104 exhaust from the factory.
Took about 5 hours to get it out .Another 1.5 to degree and remove the head. Last time on a dyno (DJ250) she spun 155 corrected SAE and 76 ftlbs. That was with a full Arata ,BMC steet and remap.
I wonder what she will do next time????????????

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the kit head gasket,kit intake cam and porting work,full yosh trs and pc3usb and got 172.6rwhp.perfect smooth curve too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hsmarc, Who did the porting? What timing did you use?

·
Registered
186 Posts
107/104 A guy I work with did the porting,does a lot of yam 4 stroke dirt bikes it was his first ten.he showed me how kawi did it on the intake side but only up to the valve guide/seat area,then did the ex and combustion chambers as well behind the valve or underneath.he also polished the intake side to a mirror finish,some like to bead blast.needless to say we were both very pleased.I have a printout of the dyno run if I can get it scanned somehow or get a good camera to take a pic i'll try and post it.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I would like to see the area under the curve.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I'd be sure to kill myself with 170 RWHP. :1848:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sounds like it'll be a fun ride.

·
Registered
451 Posts
hsmarc said:
107/104 A guy I work with did the porting,does a lot of yam 4 stroke dirt bikes it was his first ten.he also polished the intake side to a mirror finish QUOTE]

:sad: It might look preaty but there is a reason Kawi did not put a mirror finish in the ports as a matter of fact why no factory race team does.
If its not too late tell him to fix it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Trey ,I am mildly retarded around this computer. I can never get the pics to work. I have about 50 pics so I can rebuild it and put the wires and hoses in there correct spot. If you can post I can send you some. i figure it might cost $500.00 for the valve job without porting $15 to $1600 with full porting. The cam was $160.00 gasket 25.00 odd gaskets and block off plates another $100.00 . My nieghbor who is guiding me thru this is Y2KZX12, If you been on the ZX12 boards you know who he is. Last week I took his 1375cc ZX12 for a spin, literally. 2nd gear 5000 rpm out of corners spinning up the rear. Sick. I had to stop myself from trying to slide for fear of highsiding it. It was like riding a dirtbike in soft loam. Sick. I did kill his tire though........:cool:

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
otto said:
Hey Trey ,I am mildly retarded around this computer. I can never get the pics to work. I have about 50 pics so I can rebuild it and put the wires and hoses in there correct spot. If you can post I can send you some. i figure it might cost $500.00 for the valve job without porting $15 to $1600 with full porting. The cam was $160.00 gasket 25.00 odd gaskets and block off plates another $100.00 . My nieghbor who is guiding me thru this is Y2KZX12, If you been on the ZX12 boards you know who he is. Last week I took his 1375cc ZX12 for a spin, literally. 2nd gear 5000 rpm out of corners spinning up the rear. Sick. I had to stop myself from trying to slide for fear of highsiding it. It was like riding a dirtbike in soft loam. Sick. I did kill his tire though........:cool:
go to this site and you can set up to post pics http://photobucket.com/ :thumbsup: there are others as well good luck on your rebuild looking forward to seeing that

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
THE ICE MAN said:
hsmarc said:
107/104 A guy I work with did the porting,does a lot of yam 4 stroke dirt bikes it was his first ten.he also polished the intake side to a mirror finish QUOTE]

:sad: It might look preaty but there is a reason Kawi did not put a mirror finish in the ports as a matter of fact why no factory race team does.
If its not too late tell him to fix it.
tell us more:iamwithst

·
Registered
451 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
THE ICE MAN said:
tell us more:iamwithst
I was reading thru this thread too quickly he has his bike together already
Why dont you polish an intake ?

Polishing the intake port may show very little improvement in airflow on a flow bench but lose's power in the running live motor.
Fuel has a tendency to run along the port wall and roof and puddles when its polished, especially on the outside of turns and the floor. A rough texture will help keep the fuel tumbling and breaking apart (atomizing) and keep it suspended in the air then into the cylinders for a better burn wich equals more H.P. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
THE ICE MAN said:
morrisjl2 said:
I was reading thru this thread too quickly he has his bike together already
Why dont you polish an intake ?

Polishing the intake port may show very little improvement in airflow on a flow bench but lose's power in the running live motor.
Fuel has a tendency to run along the port wall and roof and puddles when its polished, especially on the outside of turns and the floor. A rough texture will help keep the fuel tumbling and breaking apart (atomizing) and keep it suspended in the air then into the cylinders for a better burn wich equals more H.P. :thumbsup:
that would be true.

BD

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still waiting on the head. NPS in NY has it. I went with there street racer head modifications. They said it will ship out monday (15th) so I might see it wed or thursday. Figure 1 night to degree and reassemble , few more hours to reinstall ,then its dyno time! When all is said and done I will post pics and graphs . I've been without her (the wife, my 04 ZX10R cause she takes all my money)since 4/22 , thank god I have a dirt bike(the mistress, a WR250F, doesnt take quite as much),and a nieghbor with a 06 GSXR1000.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts