Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have been thinking about the most effective modifications one can do to the 10 in order to lower lap times. I'm not interested in "bling" - just functional performance enhancements. I'm also thinking this might help those of us who do some trackdays but mostly street ride, and those of us who have just gotten a 10 and want to know how to mod it most effectively without wasting $$. Below is the short list of things I came up with, in order of priority:

1) Decent track tires...take your pick. Just toss the OEM D218's.

2) Steering damper.

3) Proper suspension set up (spings, valves, Ohlins swap out, or even just properly setting up the OEM stuff).

4) Gearing change - 2 or 3 (?) teeth up in rear....down in front shortens chain life.

5) LAST.....aftermarket exhaust and P.C. map. The 10 is already a monster and has more than enough power. I think every other mod should be done before this one....

Please - add you own ideas.....I think it would be cool to have a list consolidated in one place to reference easily...... :mrgreen:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Lap Timer- so you know if they are actually lower:mrgreen:

Brembo Master Cylinder is amazing and allows for later and smoother braking

DB Windscreen for better Aero's when tucked

Tire Warmers

Motorcycle Racing/Riding School

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zx10ragentorange said:
Lap Timer- so you know if they are actually lower:mrgreen:

Brembo Master Cylinder is amazing and allows for later and smoother braking

DB Windscreen for better Aero's when tucked

Tire Warmers

Motorcycle Racing/Riding School
:lol: nice.....my lap timer is the wife..... :lol: but yeah, you gotta know what your lat times are before you can lower them.....but the built in lap timer works nicely too......if you are not worried about EXACT fractions of seconds....

Very good points.....especially the school...but that's not A BIKE mod... :mrgreen:

Why tire warmers? You get up to temp in 2 or 3 laps anyway...tire warmers don't seem to benefit a track day goer in my opinion.....

DstrbdZX10R said:
#1) Faster Rider

#2) Race Brake Lines

#3) Tires

#4) Exhaust System including EMS/Custom Map

#5) Damper

Ditto with the good points.

I have to ask why did you put an exhaust system before a steering damper?

Thanks guys....keep it comin...... :mrgreen: Does anyone feel that you can drop time with a good set of rear sets? Do you gain a secure feeling and cofidence with a more positive feeling peg/petal setup? And what about aftermarket wheels? Anyone have any practical experience with them?? They are very expensive, but if you can drop a couple seconds due to less unsprung weight, it could be worth it......

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DstrbdZX10R said:
They weren't in order of priorities.. and I was joking on the rider part :badteeth:
That's no joke though!! The absolute BEST thing you can do to lower lap times is work on YOURSELF!! I know that for fact. For every one lap I feel help back by grip, stability, accel/deceleration, or mechanical weight, I KNOW I've held myself up for 2 or 3 laps with fear and hesitation.....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Zed10R said:
That's no joke though!! The absolute BEST thing you can do to lower lap times is work on YOURSELF!! I know that for fact. For every one lap I feel help back by grip, stability, accel/deceleration, or mechanical weight, I KNOW I've held myself up for 2 or 3 laps with fear and hesitation.....
:+1:
Bike mods won't necessarily make you faster, but learning to be a faster rider will! Try Freddie's school - just when you think you're quick, he smokes past you on a VFR of all things!

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Zed10R said:
Why tire warmers? You get up to temp in 2 or 3 laps anyway...tire warmers don't seem to benefit a track day goer in my opinion.....
Well while your waiting for your tires to warm up for 2 or 3 laps...everybody who has them is already honing their skills while your just warming up your tires.

Also if you do 6 sessions a day in a track day....15 laps a session.

Thats 90 laps in a track day...18 of which you spent warming tires....if my maths right...thats ~20% of your track day was wasted.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
hillcountry10r said:
Well while your waiting for your tires to warm up for 2 or 3 laps...everybody who has them is already honing their skills while your just warming up your tires.

Thats 90 laps in a track day...18 of which you spent warming tires....if my maths right...thats ~20% of your track day was wasted.
Exactly, plus it prolongs the life of your tires as they do not have to go through as many heat cycles with tire warmers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hillcountry10r said:

Sooo.....from the very first lap you go out there and haul ass at 100% - right away, immediately needing maximum available grip from your tires at the first turn?? I dunno man.

I think warmers are overkill for anyone but an active and competative racer. But I do see your logic. Now my question is: What temperature do your tires achive with warmers, and at what point does the ambient temperature negate that benefit?

And I do open days. No sessions. Two session days if I have to, so if I am concerned about lost laps, it might add up to maybe 12 or 15 in total ALL DAY. Less if it's an open day, so :thefinger :mrgreen:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh...what about the best frame sliders??? Anyone have any suggestions?? I think some added security in that depratment is also going to boot confidence.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Zed10R said:
oh...what about the best frame sliders??? Anyone have any suggestions?? I think some added security in that depratment is also going to boot confidence.
I love the sliders I got from champ91 a fellow zx-10r owner who is a member on this forum. They are no cut frame sliders and I have tried them out and they did there job well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zx10ragentorange said:
I love the sliders I got from champ91 a fellow zx-10r owner who is a member on this forum. They are no cut frame sliders and I have tried them out and they did there job well.
Got any more info on them? Like brand, model ##, ect...or just champ91 as a contact? I'm looking for a good set of sliders and I's prefer no-cuts.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Zed10R said:
Got any more info on them? Like brand, model ##, ect...or just champ91 as a contact? I'm looking for a good set of sliders and I's prefer no-cuts.
PM champ91. He makes them himself. They are great and I have no complaints and they are no-cut sliders.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Zed10R said:
Sooo.....from the very first lap you go out there and haul ass at 100% - right away, immediately needing maximum available grip from your tires at the first turn?? I dunno man.

I think warmers are overkill for anyone but an active and competative racer. But I do see your logic. Now my question is: What temperature do your tires achive with warmers, and at what point does the ambient temperature negate that benefit?

And I do open days. No sessions. Two session days if I have to, so if I am concerned about lost laps, it might add up to maybe 12 or 15 in total ALL DAY. Less if it's an open day, so :thefinger :mrgreen:
Dude!

Im not selling tire warmers.

You asked a question that I was trying to help answer honestly.

In races you hit the first turn WOT. If you dont, youre not really competing.

If you want to go tootle through a track day, more power too ya, but dont flame me cause Im trying to help make you faster.

:headshake

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
If you are really interested in your lap times, then warmers are a great help. Hillcountry and Agent both make good points.
Even when it is hot outside, the inner part of the tire doesn't get warm until it is either rolling down the road or being heated by warmers.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The best way to lower your laptimes is by far "tracktime".
People often start in the wrong end, spending lots of $ on the bike. They buy rearsets, sliders, full Akra, PC, Airfilter, aftermarket shocks (that they can't setup properly), and so on...

Then they start to spend time on the track, trying to get faster.... :dontknow:

I'd start in the other end (the right end?).
Spend your money on trackdays, ride the bike around the track as often as you can. And when you start to feel like the bike is limiting you performance (this will probably not happen for most riders), start perfekting the bike.

The first step is to learn how to set up the suspension, this is also the hardest part to learn... Start to really think when you're riding the bike. Ask yourself "What is the bike doing, and why?". To find the optimal setting is not far from impossible, but try to find a good base-setting. This will allow you to go faster, but also save you som cash on tyrewear.
If you don't get it right, ask for help...

There are however some things you should get from the beinning:
-Get a pair of decent rubbers (You can often buy good second hand tyres from people who race), the tyres fitted on the bike "out of the box" are good for touring the highways, not racing on the track.
-Get a steering dampner. The ZX-10 really needs one...

When you get a bit more serious about riding on the track:
-Get some sliders, or even a set of racefarings (Sooner or later you're gonna go down)
-Tyrewarmers. Will let you go 100% from the first lap, and also save you some cash on tyrewear...
-Double-bubble screen. The stock screen is too low...
-Brakelines

IMHO

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Macke said:
The best way to lower your laptimes is by far "tracktime".
People often start in the wrong end, spending lots of $ on the bike. They buy rearsets, sliders, full Akra, PC, Airfilter, aftermarket shocks (that they can't setup properly), and so on...

Then they start to spend time on the track, trying to get faster.... :dontknow:

I'd start in the other end (the right end?).
Spend your money on trackdays, ride the bike around the track as often as you can. And when you start to feel like the bike is limiting you performance (this will probably not happen for most riders), start perfekting the bike.

The first step is to learn how to set up the suspension, this is also the hardest part to learn... Start to really think when you're riding the bike. Ask yourself "What is the bike doing, and why?". To find the optimal setting is not far from impossible, but try to find a good base-setting. This will allow you to go faster, but also save you som cash on tyrewear.
If you don't get it right, ask for help...

There are however some things you should get from the beinning:
-Get a pair of decent rubbers (You can often buy good second hand tyres from people who race), the tyres fitted on the bike "out of the box" are good for touring the highways, not racing on the track.
-Get a steering dampner. The ZX-10 really needs one...

When you get a bit more serious about riding on the track:
-Get some sliders, or even a set of racefarings (Sooner or later you're gonna go down)
-Tyrewarmers. Will let you go 100% from the first lap, and also save you some cash on tyrewear...
-Double-bubble screen. The stock screen is too low...
-Brakelines

IMHO
well said Macke. Do you have an aftermarket rear suspension and if so how do you like it?

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
In no particular order:

Track School
Damper
Tires
Track Days
Brembo M/C, lines, pads - (ok thats like 3 things)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts