Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tools needed for a valve adjustment?

Hey guy I was reading up on doing a valve adjustment, I can't find what tools are required to get this job done(besides the normal sockets and wrenches)

I know I will need the feeler gauges and the gauges to sync the tbs, and a set of shims..

Are there any specialty tools that made this job easier for you?

Thanks alot

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
tools

need wire guages to sync tb mechanically, micrometer is best and only tool needed for valve adj. wire guages hard to find locally here, i used a piece of solid small diameter picture hanging wire from home depot, about $2, about , .035, carefully straightened it and cut it with a sharp knife not to crimp end .and synced mine. they seemed very good. then decided i wanted them perfect, went to a shop and pd.$60 to have them digitally syncd running. waste of money, they were almost perfect done the way ur describing. not hard to do at all, they are synced in sets one and two, three and four, simply adjust idle cable till wire slides snugly under tb blades on fixed set, then adjust spring loaded set to the same paying attention to how it slides under and drags, readjust idle back down. they will be in good sync done carefully. hope this helps cody.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i would suggest using a torque wrench to tighten the cams back onto the head. these bolts are skinny and can easily strip the aluminum thread inside the head.

dont get shims. see how many you need first. most likely you will be able to swap them around so that you still are in the range. you will prolly end up needing 2-3 shims. there are some cats on this board that can swap shims with you for free. just pay 43cent shipping. (cough* garth cough*)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I am still trying to talk myself onto doing this, instead of starting a new thread I will just bump this one...

My question is where are you guys getting a good set of metric feeler gauges?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on guys help me out... I got the valve cover off but am still unsure on what feeler gauges to get.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Feeler gauges any kind and a nice set of electronic calipers.

If you live near a reputable kawasaki dealer or metric shop you can trade shims with them once you know the measurements. I used to break the bike apart on Friday evening, measure Saturday morning and trade with the shop. Then finish up on Sunday. That's the relaxed way.

Most of all make sure you have a really well lit work area as it will be frustrating, drop lights with 100 watt bulbs

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
feeler guages and mike

cody, any auto store has feeler guages graduated to both american and metric in one set. a simple, inexpensive 2 inch, non digital, mike will give all the accuracy needed, cost about $20-$30. good luck.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome thanks... I can't seem to find a micrometer under 100 bucks. I got the feeler gauges, just have to get the micrometer.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did the valve check and if I did it right it looks like I have 4 valves out of spec.... most of my valves were 0.18mm and the rest were 0.15mm

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well I did the valve check and if I did it right it looks like I have 4 valves out of spec.... most of my valves were 0.18mm and the rest were 0.15mm

You don't need a Micrometer just need to know what shim size was installed and adjust from measurements, I have HotCams replacement Shims.....may need to start a new thread but does anyone know if the 9.48mm diameter shims are ok to replace the stockers? ....I believe stock is 7mm+ outside diameter.

bloo

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't need a Micrometer just need to know what shim size was installed and adjust from measurements, I have HotCams replacement Shims.....may need to start a new thread but does anyone know if the 9.48mm diameter shims are ok to replace the stockers? ....I believe stock is 7mm+ outside diameter.

bloo
bloo the way the shims fit under the bucket and inside the retainer spring they would have to be an exact fit...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
here is what i got for measurements on the clearance.

a few of the exhaust valves are out of spec, But they are ALL on the tight side. would you guys bring them back closer to the middle of the spec range or just replace the ones that are out of spec.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
bloo the way the shims fit under the bucket and inside the retainer spring they would have to be an exact fit...
so what size?....we can work together finally need to change mine after 30k miles I am sure.

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
7.48 mm only. mike useful for shims with numbers worn off.
Missed this post...can anyone confirm?...I have a Kit Hotcams for sale if so 9.48. :badteeth:...what disturbs me on ebay and respected Vendor sells the 9.48mm for the 1st Gen so don't understand how they never been called out on Ebay for wrong parts. :dontknow:

bloo

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i cant confirm the size of the shim personally but have read in several threads that it is 7.48 shims..

here is some pics to make better sense of why it has to be a perfect fit

this pic shows the shim still stuck inside the valve retainer...

this pic show the valve retainer WITHOUT the shim...

this pic shows the "bucket" with the shim in the middle. the bucket is what slids over the top of the valve retainer... The shim is magnetic and sticks to the top of the bucket

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
i cant confirm the size of the shim personally but have read in several threads that it is 7.48 shims..

here is some pics to make better sense of why it has to be a perfect fit

this pic shows the shim still stuck inside the valve retainer...

this pic show the valve retainer WITHOUT the shim...

this pic shows the "bucket" with the shim in the middle. the bucket is what slids over the top of the valve retainer... The shim is magnetic and sticks to the top of the bucket

Thanks bud I will need to confirm further but it looks like someone on Ebay is going to get a very nice deal on shims @ 9.48mm almost any size for under $60 bucks. :badteeth: still don't understand some websites advertising 1st gen and selling 9.48mm :dontknow:

bloo

1 - 20 of 77 Posts