Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing the thin gasket, cam, degreeing and some porting, and I saw a scratch along the combustion chambers. Is this a critical spot, it seems to me it is? How would this affect performance? I did not notice any problems before disassembling. Suggestion would be well received.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The head on my bike had the same "scratched" surface finish, without the deeper scratches in your pictures. One of your pictures almost looks like combustion gasses were getting past the fire ring on the deeper scratch. If you can catch your fingernail on the deeper scratches, it might be worth looking into a cleen up cut on the head.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
mill the head and it will clean up all the surface scratches if your concerned.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After more dissasembling look what I found. On the intake valves 4 valve retainers were broken in pieces. Have anybody had this happen? What could have caused it?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!! Count yourself lucky to find that shit! How many miles are on those parts. And do you regularly bump the limiter ?

If I had my haed back off at this time I would angle mill the head and use the stock gasket. The angle milling will give you more piston to valve clearance and allow you to advance the intake to numbers impossible otherwise. Take enough off to allow you the margin to smooth up the chambers around the valves.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It looks to me like the cam buckets were contacting the spring retainers (wear pattern showing on retainers). Correct adjustment shims should not allow this contact. When and who did the last vavle adjustment?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
After looking at this closer it appears that your bike had spit the shims out of their pockets and they got out of position between the bucket and retainer, Notice how the broken area is about the size of the shim Dia. Again you were lucky. But if that was the case there's probably more damage hiding there as well. In that reguard you're probably NOT going to be lucky again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
FATTKAW said:
have you ever had the valves adjusted?? if so they used the wrong valve shims.
The 04 and 05 have different valve clearences.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike has about 8k miles on it. No adjustment on that engine yet. The shims were in place on all valves, only the outside area of the retainers were broken, so I don't think they caused the problem. I am getting all of the retainers and the damaged springs new. I have hit the rev limiter couple of times but not that much.

What worries me is that I need to get it milled, and I have already the thin head gasket and the race cam. I hope there is no clearance issue. Was hoping to set the cam at 106/103.

I just finished polishing the comustion chambers (to a 600 grit) and started to polish the exhaust ports. I will post pictures showing the progress.

I need to check on whats that angle milling. Can anybody give me more info.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think they are refering to scimming the head to remove the scratch mark. Probaby .005" about the thickness of the lines on an engineers steel rule. You need to check the head is perfectly flat before the scim. if it is bowed then when you tighten it down the head will go flat. If you scim the bow out then the bow at the top of the head will remain causing camshaft bearing problems. Get workshop advice first.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Angle milling is just what it sounds like. Taking a thicker pass over the intake side than the exhaust side lets say. The squish band is altered. So obviously, some serious knowledge is involved on flame patterns, compression, clearances and also on bolting parts back on such as is your exhaust going to be able to fit properly in the stock location without blow by?

A good builder would check the original surface for bowing and whatever. A .005" flycut is no big deal. Assembly takes the time to get everything where you want it. Same as above without the angled flycut.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhh fugg it gimme a belt sander and let me at it :helmet:

BD

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Dragone said:
Angle milling is just what it sounds like. Taking a thicker pass over the intake side than the exhaust side lets say. .
Close except in this case it would be a heavier cut on the Exhaust side. It will give a little more piston to valve for the intake and allow better cam numbers to be run. You run out of room on the intake side in the piston to valve clearence dept long before the exhaust side on the 10R

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:dontknow: I agree with that, but to bad that the scratch is in the intake side.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Gunner said:
Close except in this case it would be a heavier cut on the Exhaust side. It will give a little more piston to valve for the intake and allow better cam numbers to be run. You run out of room on the intake side in the piston to valve clearence dept long before the exhaust side on the 10R
Thanks Gunner for the info. I just gave an example.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Boricua said:
After more dissasembling look what I found. On the intake valves 4 valve retainers were broken in pieces. Have anybody had this happen? What could have caused it?

i know what caused this...it's the fact that the retainers are cast pieces and they are very likely to give up....we have built a few zx10 motors and have noticed some "weird" wear on the stock retainers...since you have it apart and need to go ahead and take it all the way down, now is the time to install a good set of springs and ti retainers...if you need good machine shop services, send it to us and i'll make sure it gets the proper attention it needs...let me know if we can help....

dwayne

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The same thing happened to my motor. I'm chalking it up to cam degree, the tech who degreed my shzt messed up big time. but the caps were ok, my retainers let go on the #2 cylinder intake side. They were found wedged into the valve spring. I dont have any gashes on the head itself. How much are those ti retaining clips?????

1 - 20 of 30 Posts