Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Too tall?

Gen 5: 2016-20 
3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bronca714 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a question I hope you can help me with. I have a 2017 ZX10 which is stock except for a Graves slip on. My issue is this. When I’m at the quarter mile track shifting from 2nd to 3rd the front end either starts to comes up or starts to shimmy real bad..this is at about 115 mph. Because I’m 6’3 (205 lbs) I can’t lean forward too far to get more weight on the front. Any ideas on how to get this bike under control? I launch well...it’s just the end of the track where everything starts happening.

#2 ·
Wheel balanced and everything aligned and torqued in the front end? Ride height and sag set? You may need to respring and keep the rear up which will help keep the front down.

Try dropping the forks in the triple tree's by something small like 1/8 inch. It may change your rake just enough to solve this problem.

#5 ·
put your chin on the front tank cover and support your weight with your feet. I have very agressive gearing (-1/+4) and i have no problems keeping the front down outside of 1st gear launching at 12,000.

Longer chain and move the wheel all the way to back of the swingarm adjuster.

You also probably need a stiffer rear spring for your weight.

#6 · (Edited)
Don't worry about getting below the screen; weight on pegs and body forward and grip tank hard with knees while staying upper body loose as possible. If front is doing weird, as you report, then the bike is telling you to get off...body is in fear mode.

Riding whatever is interesting...even a straight stupid line, I guess.

Track is too short to need the screen, unless heavy head wind, I guess; a lot does rest upon physical conditioning, which I often forget to include on this site as so few ride, but if head feels too much wind at 130-140, outta of shape, for sure.

#8 ·
Thanks for all advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I went to the Kawasaki dealer Saturday....and came home with a 2019 ZX14R after trading in the ZX10. Now I’ll have room to tuck AND I’ll still use the advice you all gave me. I’ll wait till the break in period though at 1000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.