Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do '04-07 CBR 1000RR and '05-06 GSXR 1000 Tokico's perform the same?

Hey peoplez,

I'm new to the site from a Speed Triple and 600RR before that. I've been reading the different threads about front brake upgrades and decided on just doing the cheap 1000RR Tokico swap for now.

I was about to press "buy" on ebay when I realized in a flash that I ran really similar calipers before on the Speed Triple and hated them. I put Tokicos from a K5 Gixxer 1000 on the 'Triple and even with braided lines, Brembo RCS, and Vesrah RJL pads, the lever travel and feel was disappointing. It was like something (the calipers?) was still flexing somewhere in the system, and yes, I re-bled several times. Same result with the GSXR master that came with the calipers.

Just looking at the pics on ebay, they appear similar, but are they? Internally, I mean. A google search turned up nothing. I'd rather drop the extra money on the ZX-14/Zx6R Nissins than deal with the crappiness of the Tokicos that I experienced. But I need tires, a front stand, etc. so saving a little dough wouldn't be bad either.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Get the Nissins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, Crownan. I'm leaning that way or seeing if one of the millwrights at the plant I work at can mill 5mm off the R1 monobloc mounts.

I did a little math and the Nissin's were $295 for ebay calipers and new Ferodo pads, versus $160 for the Tokicos with the same pads. I could almost buy the front stand that I need for that difference. I hope it's worth it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks johnny and Lima for your input. I thought I was subscribed to this thread as the op, but I guess not. Didn't see your posts.

Ya I definitely like the idea of the monoblocs, but I ended up ordering some ZX6R Nissins off of ebay for now. I really don't like the look of them, so I may swap them out again in the off season.

Lima - I ran RJLs in my 600RR and loved them, used them in the setup listed above and they felt like pieces of wood. I took them out and sanded them in case I glazed them, put them back in, same result. I wonder if they changed the formulation or if I just glazed them twice in a row. I remember they need some heat in them to really work, but just riding around town felt like I wasn't going to stop in time at stoplights, etc.

I'll see how the stockers that come with the Nissins work before I drop some cash on something better. Thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts