Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a steering damper and have looked at Ohlins, Toby, Sprint and Arrow - whats the best one?

The Toby looks cheapest - do you get what you pay for?

Thanks
Tim :dontknow:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have and recommend the Scott's rotary damper.

I had a Ohlins 90mm linear damper w/ a Black Widow mount on my 98R1 (fairing stay to fork tube)

I had a Ohlins 90mm linear damper w/ a Black Widow on my R6 race bike (steering head to fork tube) but then I got vortex clip-ons and installed them below the top triple tree and the damper rod interfered with my brake lever so I machined a custom a steering stop and currently it has a 68mm WP linear damper.

Once installed these linear setups worked great, but they were a pain in the ass to install and once installed if I wanted to adjust my front ride height (different tire mfg) you had to totally readjust the fork tube bracket, PITA, and they are very susceptible to crash damage.

Nowadays most of the linear damper units mount between the tank and triple trees so you don't have the fork tube adjustment to deal with but they are still susceptible to crash damage.

Presently on my ZX10R I have a Scott's and I don't see how I ever got along without it. It works great, I don’t feel it at low speed, it is fairly protected in the event of a get off, and I personally think they look better than the older style linear damper units in front of or behind the triple tree.

The cons to the Scott's is I HATE the blueish anodized aluminum mount, and it has two more bolts to get the tank off (that is really inconsequential though).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts