Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out if it's worth having the front legs rebuilt or doing cartridges.

I would like to hear from anyone who has rebuilt the bpf and then went to cartridges.

I run in the upper part of intermediate group, this year I started to run to the limits of front. I want to put in cartridges, but with the gen5 out, I will be buying 1 in a couple yrs to track only. I know it's a band-aid fix, but 1500 bucks would be a good down payment on a gen5. Does adding springs to your weight, new shim stacks, valves, would make a huge difference and I would be out 700 bucks.

I am running a ttx 036 ohlins rear shock, which I will be adding links this year.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
In general with the BPF we always pull them out and put in cartridges. As you go fast the BPF just doesnt hold up to the challenge. Now someone WILL come on here and say they know so and so who uses a revalved BPF and is fast as hell. Yes there is always an exception to the rule, but it's few and far between. You will also get guys that will say they have BPF and run a good pace. I will guarantee they will feel ten times better on cartridges.

With all the being said here are a few more key points. There is ALWAYS more data on cartridges than upgrading OEM suspension. What I mean is if there are problems, your tuner will have more ammunition to choose from to help fix a handling issue compared to oem upgrades. Also cartridges hold their value extremely well. So you can keep your OEM guts on the shelf, and before you sell your bike put the OEM guts back in and sell your carts for probably 80%ish payback.

We get this question all the time, bottom line is we recommend carts for trackday guys and OEM upgrades for street guys (if it's even worth it).

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
In general with the BPF we always pull them out and put in cartridges. As you go fast the BPF just doesnt hold up to the challenge. Now someone WILL come on here and say they know so and so who uses a revalved BPF and is fast as hell. Yes there is always an exception to the rule, but it's few and far between. You will also get guys that will say they have BPF and run a good pace. I will guarantee they will feel ten times better on cartridges.

With all the being said here are a few more key points. There is ALWAYS more data on cartridges than upgrading OEM suspension. What I mean is if there are problems, your tuner will have more ammunition to choose from to help fix a handling issue compared to oem upgrades. Also cartridges hold their value extremely well. So you can keep your OEM guts on the shelf, and before you sell your bike put the OEM guts back in and sell your carts for probably 80%ish payback.

We get this question all the time, bottom line is we recommend carts for trackday guys and OEM upgrades for street guys (if it's even worth it).
^^^^ I would listen to what this guy has to say. :notworthy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts