Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new set of Dunlops, rear tire caught a brad nail or some long thin piece of metal and almost went cruising with about only 10 pounds of air pressure Lucky a buddy noticed.
Can someone, anyone please inform me of the good bad and ugly of plugging or patching or both on a bike tire. I am hoping I dont have to buy another rear but safety first. I have heard of umbrella patches that work like a plug and a patch at the same time, not sure if its safe to do so on a bike tire for various reasons. I remember hearing people say stuff like you dont fix bike tires you replace them. Need some guidance from brain trust in the site, Thanks.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've plugged one in a pinch. I was stuck 100 miles from home when I got the flat. My option was to either dish out $250 for a tire when I had spares at home, $250 for a tow, or spend $5 and plug the bitch and ride home slowly. Again, not the best idea, but it does work.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Most would replace a tire. If it was punctured dead center and wasn't a big hole. I would be tempted to patch. How do you ride? If you drag knee, manipulate, and stretch the shape of the tire too much in the turns and do high speed runs just replace it.
When cash is tight some times ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've used a proper 'umbrella' patch on a rear on my old ZX12, It went over 300kph many,many times with absolutely no issues at all, and I ran it 'till it was bald.
Your choice, but I've repaired a few tyres on different bikes over the years, and never seen a problem with any of them, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Note: If you don't know what you're lookin at, get someone who does to do the job.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've used a proper 'umbrella' patch on a rear on my old ZX12, It went over 300kph many,many times with absolutely no issues at all, and I ran it 'till it was bald.
Your choice, but I've repaired a few tyres on different bikes over the years, and never seen a problem with any of them, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Note: If you don't know what you're lookin at, get someone who does to do the job.
:+1:

Plugs work for me all the time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Read about some guys who had good experiences with plugs and patches, but my gut feeling screams NEW TIRE.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
I ve plugged min ebefore no problems low/high speeds..
Just got a brand new 2ct from a member here for free since he didnt feel safe plugging it.. So i took it plugged it and put it on my boys CBR since he needed a tire and been riding on it for a week now w/ problems.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
thats a gamble , I ca'nt say I've not done it but would'nt recomend it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Plug it. A "mushroom" or "umbrella" plug is very stable. I've patched two, maybe three rear tires and have never had a problem. After giving it some time for my confidence to build up, I never treated them any different than an un-patched tire. I used on up at Deal's Gap for a week and all went well.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
patch will work just fine! I've done it and no problems. PATCH AND RIDE IN CONFIDENCE.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
ill plug a car tire, but a motorcycle tire is a different animal in my mind. people here have said they have done it with success, i would just be too worried.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
your call........

looks like it's half and half.
i'd plug it to get home.
then buy a new one to ride fast!
if done right,why worry?
who's the doer,you or the other guy?
i know my work is good,but do you know the quality of work the other guy does?

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
looks like it's half and half.
i'd plug it to get home.
then buy a new one to ride fast!
if done right,why worry?
who's the doer,you or the other guy?
i know my work is good,but do you know the quality of work the other guy does?
:+1:

this may never happen and probably never will but do you guys that are scared to ride normally on a plugged/patched tire ever think the new tire could be defective?? Shit does happen?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Some people have more money than sense. This debate is the same as equating helmet cost to safety. As long as the certification is the same the added cost goes into fit and finish. Oil is the same way. If an oil meets say an SH standard, the cost doesnt matter. Some may have MORE additives, but a cheaper oil wont DAMAGE your engine.

I've ridden a tire with a plug from 200 miles to 4K with no problems but I've had a tire with 1500 miles on it (I think it was a Bridgestone) start to separate in the center.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
im sure a patch will do, i would replace the tire though.

if there was no problem patching a tire then every tire manufacturer would sell millions of "factory defective" tires that are patched, but they dont because of the potential liability.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The "mushroom" plugs are bonded to the inside surface of the tire and the plug part is pulled through the puncture. The plug has cement on it and as it's pulled through it bonds as well.

The person plugging the tire will use their judgment as to if it's safe. If a large object goes through, they wont do it. The same goes for screws. They tend to damage the belts. Nails will usually slide through the belts and not damage the structural integrity of the tire.

I wouldn't trust it on a land speed bike, but for normal riding it'll be ok. Now if you don't register the bike and run from the cops all the time, you'd be asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
buy a stopngo plug kit and keep on riding on that sucker!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts