Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, yesterday i had the day off and am dying to wrench on my bike a bit so i took off the two into one pipe on the belly of my bike to gut the cats. So once i finally got if off (took me hours because of one stupid bolt) i decided i would read some more on how exactly everyone is getting the insides outside. I most def do not want to go start beating on it, it not come out, and them have no flow at all. ya mean? ok well after reading some more i hear about all that horrible noise it causes when decelerating. I hate the way all that popping sounds and am curious to know how bad it really is. Also will removing secondaries and/or exhaust valve do the same thing? PC is on the top of my list now but i just ordered a TRE so maybe next month. Wifey gets jealous when i spend more money on the bike than i do her.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Alright, yesterday i had the day off and am dying to wrench on my bike a bit so i took off the two into one pipe on the belly of my bike to gut the cats. So once i finally got if off (took me hours because of one stupid bolt) i decided i would read some more on how exactly everyone is getting the insides outside. I most def do not want to go start beating on it, it not come out, and them have no flow at all. ya mean? ok well after reading some more i hear about all that horrible noise it causes when decelerating. I hate the way all that popping sounds and am curious to know how bad it really is. Also will removing secondaries and/or exhaust valve do the same thing? PC is on the top of my list now but i just ordered a TRE so maybe next month. Wifey gets jealous when i spend more money on the bike than i do her.:mrgreen:
The popping is pretty bad if you are nailing it and then roll of the throttle, but then again, I am all about the loud GP sounding bikes, so I like mine that way. But I opted for the self made low exit exhaust which completely does away with the can. Yeah, its loud, but all my riding buddies are in awe of the matching blue flame it produces at roll off around 3,000 rpms.. As for gutting the cat, I took a long flathead screwdriver and drove it down through the cat and started twisting it about until chunks started falling out and after ech chunk, it got easiier and easier to twist out. Note: I place the bottom side of my exhaust onto a block of wood to maintain the shape so I wouldn't loose the crush seal match-up. But they are pretty resilliant. And if I were you, I would wait till I got that PCIII in before I did all that, cause you will think it runs awful.. So get in that PCIII and order you a decent Air Filter and you will be golden if you have someone to Dyno it and starighten out your Fuel/Air mixture..

·
Registered
763 Posts
From what i've heard, if you getting a TRE removing the secondaries is not gonna do much for you. I definately agree with the advice about waiting for the PC before you gut the cats.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gutting the cat is a PITA I cut my exhaust where it goes 2 into 1 and gutted from there! There is 2 sets of cats in each side and a nightmare to clean out smooth. Then I had a friend weld it back together...good luck!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
What year is your bike? I recommend installing the TRE and PC3 first.....then see what you think. Just added both to my bike and it made a huge difference. Much better than I expected. Good luck:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
47 Posts
removing the secondary butterflies won't do anything... get the TRE preferably the XTRE... and PC... gutting the cats and getting a midpipe will make a huge diff...almost as good as a full system

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What year is your bike? I recommend installing the TRE and PC3 first.....then see what you think. Just added both to my bike and it made a huge difference. Much better than I expected. Good luck:eek:ccasion1
it's an 06. Really i am most interested in recovering the bottom of the power band that is currently missing.. The top end is way more powerful than i think i will ever use. went down one in the front but havent gone up in the back yet. Still if i crack it at all in first it is as if there is no fuel there for a second or it just lags. Ya mean? Anyways, PC3 is next. I actually just got a call today about some extra work so that means extra cheddar!!!!:thumbsup:

removing the secondary butterflies won't do anything... get the TRE preferably the XTRE... and PC... gutting the cats and getting a midpipe will make a huge diff...almost as good as a full system
I already ordered Ivan's TRE and am looking forward to it getting here tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
it's an 06. Really i am most interested in recovering the bottom of the power band that is currently missing.. The top end is way more powerful than i think i will ever use. went down one in the front but havent gone up in the back yet. Still if i crack it at all in first it is as if there is no fuel there for a second or it just lags. Ya mean? Anyways, PC3 is next. I actually just got a call today about some extra work so that means extra cheddar!!!!:thumbsup:

I already ordered Ivan's TRE and am looking forward to it getting here tomorrow.
You're really going to like Ivan's TRE. Yea it disables the gear indicator but so what. After a week you won't even miss it. I spoke with Ivan about the XTRE vs his and he claims the XTRE isn't nearly as effective. He seems like a very knowledgeable and honest guy so I went with his and it makes an AWESOME difference. It might actually be my favorite mod!!:mrgreen:

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet guys! Your great, i am stoked for tomorrow. Thing is i have to go to work right after school for the next two days. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO? I am the kind of impatient guy that is dying for his new toys to come in the mail so i can play with them. I cant always afford parts so sometimes i just take my bike apart and lay the pieces all over the garage. Then i will spend all night putting it back together so i can ride it the next day.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Well here is my two cts worth..Save yer $$ on the tre..Dont bother...I personally had my gen 2 tested with the tre on a dyno jet softwared dyno..When the guys tuned my bike it made ZERO DIFFERENCE..No more power anywhere and it didnt change the map..
Do a lil searching here cause macmavis did a lil testing ok he did a bit more than lil and his results came out the same..No diff..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts