Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:heyyou: Gen 2 owner with A&R baffles on stock undertails. I'm wondering weather to gut the cats to get myself closer to a "full system" setup. At this time, i can't justify dropping 1K plus on a full system, so will gutting the cat really help me out that much if i plan to get it mapped/reflashed anyway? Any and all feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I ran that baffle kit for a while before adding an arrow cat eliminator, when I added the eliminator it seemed to have lost power but once I got a pc3 with a generic map I found it definitely felt stronger. Not 600-1000 stronger or anything but it worked real well until I got a full system. Id personally get the cat eliminator over gutting as Ive read gutting causes turbulence in the pipe and restricts good flow

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok...i'll look into the cat eliminator...what's this "boom box" i've heard people talk about? and does the gen 2 have it?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,875 Posts
ok...i'll look into the cat eliminator...what's this "boom box" i've heard people talk about? and does the gen 2 have it?
Only the Gen 3 and 4's have the pre-muffler affectionately referred to as the "boom box"

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
i gutted mine and it felt stronger and deff sounded better. i couldnt justify spendin 100 on a pipe when i could knock all the honeycomb out with a big flathead...i work for Walmart...i tend to save money so i can go faster :mrgreen:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did the Delkivic mid pipe that removes the cat and on the dyno I lost 4 HP but after a tune I picked up 1 HP. It sounds better but $110 for the midpipe and $275 for custom tune not worth the 1 HP. Your power comes from the headers. Think like this a water hose turned on, water runs out slow... pinch the hose with pressure you can make the water come out faster or slower. Headers have bends and are pinched to make the air flow faster. Stock headers are only good for 155-160 HP point blank.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea a couple HP is deff not worth $100 + to me. and the bike is already pretty loud with the baffles. Still, gutting would have been free...just didn't know if it was really that much trouble and if it would help me out any at all after getting it mapped. guess this is like many other things...good or bad relative to who's considering it. hmmm.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I did the Delkivic mid pipe that removes the cat and on the dyno I lost 4 HP but after a tune I picked up 1 HP. It sounds better but $110 for the midpipe and $275 for custom tune not worth the 1 HP. Your power comes from the headers. Think like this a water hose turned on, water runs out slow... pinch the hose with pressure you can make the water come out faster or slower. Headers have bends and are pinched to make the air flow faster. Stock headers are only good for 155-160 HP point blank.
Actually, the stock header on the Gen 2 is pretty good. I made 178hp SAE on pump gas with the stock header and an Area P half system. Stock bore & stroke.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Actually, the stock header on the Gen 2 is pretty good. I made 178hp SAE on pump gas with the stock header and an Area P half system. Stock bore & stroke.
Yeah, the stock headers are good to nearly 200bhp and even more if you spray or even supercharge it. I made over 170whp with stock headers.

Go catless, it sounds alot deeper and there is a gain both performance and weight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so next question...who has gutted theirs and how did they go about doing it. i see one person used a large flathead screwdriver??

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Hammer and a screwdriver(long) and get a hammering. Just be careful to not punch thru the piping walls. You wanna get every bit of it out that you can.I did iy on a pst cars uppipe, used a dremel snake attatchment too. Most just use the screwdriver as a chisel and chip away. Takes hour or so unless you dont care about gouging the walls. In that case 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well thank ya for the info...might be trying this soon.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
My cat is gutted wish it wasnt you loose low end power I am wanting to gut my stock mufflers thou....
Wrong, you have lost low end because for one you dont have a pc nor a custom tune right:wink: Go get a tune and you wont be saying the same thing:wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts