Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am sitting here in Afghanistan just thinking about what I need to do to my bike when I get back. I need new brake pads for sure but now I am thinking about getting new rotors, front and rear. I was looking at the Galfer wave rotors. Is it necessary to get new rotors. I am thinking along the lines of when you get new sprockets, you should get a new chain too. Will new brake pads seat in well on my old rotors? Should I get the old rotors resurfaced. Just a few things I was thinking about out here in the desert. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rotor are not always needed when changing out pad. It is a if it ain't broke leave it alone item. Upgrading your brakelines would be worth while though. I'm sure if you don't need to replace them 500+ can be used somewhere elese.

·
Registered
394 Posts
^^what he said, rotors should not be needed unless you wore them down with bald pads. Kawi brakes are strong as is, upgrade to spieglers with carbon pads and you will be amazed. Take the $ saved on rotors and put it on other beneficial upgrades.

Oh and if ur military a big thanx for your service. Spread that to evryone you know, you guys are apreciated.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I already have HEL brake lines and my brakes hold up just fine. I was just curious about the rotors. I can definitely find something better to spend $500 dollars on. Thanks again.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
If you wanna do a lil trick i was once told about..Assumeing your rotors are 100% straight you can have them resurfaced sorta speak(more of a clean though) ..I dont remember exactly how its done but if memory is correct you use something like a circular type wire brush attachment to a drill and do a cross pattern all over both sides of each rotor...
Hopefully im explaining it correctly cause the idea is foggy in the ole brain...
NOw dont hold me to it or anything,lets wait and see what others say before you attempt this..
Its just something i was once told that basically scores the surface a smidge so pads bed in the right way..
I love to try these..http://www.braketech.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=95

IF you dont wanna or have ta spend the $$ stay stock and beef up calipers and pads..

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
I have some 300mm brembo hp rotors for sale IF you're interested? as well as a pair of nissin zx14 calipers and some braided superbike lines that bolt directly into the calipers (not the lines pictured, these are silver)....but as stated above, the new pads will seat in just fine on used calipers.:mrgreen:

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94929

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
when I got just new pads they were fine. you don't need anything just come home and ride.
:+1:...again, this is VERY true my friend!!!!!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
yeah new pads, SBS sintered street work amazing...As for rotors, if you arent going to work this bike out on the track repeatedly with race compund pads than you are pretty much just spending money..as the galfer wave rotors are about 2 oz lighter each, but they can take way more abuse.

I use them on my 636, they sure look pretty...so how many days you haev left?

sitting on 136 here in Iraq..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, we are about the same, I am sitting at 124. I dont go on R&R till March though. Anyways, I am just looking for a good replacement that is similiar to the OEM's. Those OEM's are pretty expensive. The SBS you recommend are pretty good?

yeah new pads, SBS sintered street work amazing...As for rotors, if you arent going to work this bike out on the track repeatedly with race compund pads than you are pretty much just spending money..as the galfer wave rotors are about 2 oz lighter each, but they can take way more abuse.

I use them on my 636, they sure look pretty...so how many days you haev left?

sitting on 136 here in Iraq..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts